Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What's the appropriate age to have sex

What a appropriate age to have sex?

5K views 70 replies 39 participants last post by  PlayerOffGames 
#1 ·
what's the appropriate age, and why do you think it's the appropriate age?

#2 ·
i have no clue. all i know is i would have been a lot less depressed if i'd had it in high school.

#7 ·
I have to disagree with you. IMO, 14 year olds aren't mature or responsible enough--especially boys. One needs sufficient sensitivity, consideration, and judgment. It's too easy to hurt another person and/or make an idiotic choice of a partner.

People develop the requisite wisdom and responsibility from age 16 onward. Some individuals never become wise and responsible enough!!!

#5 ·
15 and younger - too young.
16/17 - weary.
18+ - fine.

When your mother started having sex at 12 and was pregnant with you at 16, and she's open about her experiences, you're pretty well aware of all of the things that go along with sex (not just consequence-wise but emotionally and mentally, too). Of course, it's a decision best made by the individual, but in my opinion sex isn't just sex even if you try to think of it that way.

#15 ·
I agree.
If you're mature enough to know and handle all consequences that come along with what you're doing and you know how to properly protect yourself, then I figure you're ready.

I will admit that if you're under 13, it's kind of strange, but if you know what you're doing, hey, go ahead.

#16 ·
Where is the 12 and under option....haha or can we not joke like that at SAS anymore??? Kidding, kidding.

Whenever one is truly ready. You cannot go back to holding hands. I wasnt really ready when I first did it.I am voting the whenever one is ready option but I would guess that to be between 18 and 25. But people rarely know truly when they are "ready".

#17 ·
I voted for whenever it happens, because some younger people are mature enough to have sex whereas some adults are probably more immature than younger peers. And everyone has differnet views, plus what might be right for someone won't be for someone else.

People have different maturity levels at different ages, or indeed if you would love to be can't like some of us. The age factor doesn't come into it, it's the barrier that stops you getting close to the opposite sex.

#18 ·
I dont think there is an appriopriate age, I think its whenever you feel you are ready, if your with someone you care about, and you feel that they are the right person to have that sort of intimacy with then thats your choice. Most people say what until your with someone you love. I did the opposite, a few months after I left someone I loved I lost my virginity to someone I didnt love, a friend, and I did not and I still do not regret it. I believed that if you lose that to someone you love and you break up with that person then you will regret it. I also believe and know that sex isnt always about love and thats a good thing. You should have sex when you are ready, dont let anyone else choose for you, and with someone your comfortable with. Dont settle for someone your not comfortable with or someone you know your going to regret it with.

#19 ·
I think after you marry. But its up to you to make the right decision in your life, and sex is a bad decision for your age believe me! it can leave you with a lot of bad diseases as well. I personally believe in first love and sex after marriage. If your in love then sex is going to reinforce that love and combine you and your partner together for a long time and in that case i wound get married first. Good luck to you and hopefully you will choose the right answer :)

#23 ·
if theres grass on the field, play ball...you feel me? Ö.ö ...just be careful...i had sex the first time when i was 18...i think thats a good age to start
I'm gonna start answering questions with that even when it doesn't make sense...especially when it doesn't make sense.

#29 ·
Actually, the former girlfriend and the 1st kid are pretty much out of the picture. She has custody and I think she moved out of the area. My nephew is now married and has 2 kids by his wife and they're doing ok.

#44 ·
:ditto I'm actually surprised I wasn't the only vote for that option.

#33 ·
I voted 17-19, but I pretty much changed my mind. There is no fixed aged that applies for everyone. Some people might be ready at 14, some at 20, it depends on many factors (education, level of maturity, personal values, etc.) If i had to absolutely guess an fixed age for sexual-readiness, I would think that at about 16-17, more often that not people will be ready at that age.

However, I don't think waiting until marriage is a good thing, to go in the same direction than a previous poster, lack of sexual chemistry in a couple could end up ruining that couple (unless they are asexual). After 20 years of marriage, if the sex isn't pleasant, IMO there is a good chance to end up looking for more compatible partners elsewhere.
Marriage is serious stuff. IMO i wont get married until after that relationship survived to the routine of living together (smelly bathroom, underwear lying on the floor, etc.) which also include sex together. How can I honestly and rationally say I'll spend the rest of my life with a girl and love her if I have never even lived with her before?

#35 ·
I think that by 18, most people should have the capacity to have sex responsibly, if they choose to be responsible.

Sex is like many other things that comes with being an adult, all your childhood you have been cautioned on the right thing to do, but when you reach 18, it is your choice whether you choose to be responsible or not.

Ergo, by the age of 18 there is a greater chance, that an untentional conception can be delt with more maturely, than if the parents are 16.

I believe the legal age of consent for such things should not be the earliest age possible, but rather the statistical average age at which youth exhibit wise decisions around these issues.

I.E. a 14 y/o may say that he / she are responsible, but in the heat of excitement, convinently forget to use a condom. At age 18, one should have the presence of mind not to make such mistakes, as well as the finance / presence of mind to cope if it happens.

#36 ·
I think that by 18, most people should have the capacity to have sex responsibly, if they choose to be responsible.

Sex is like many other things that comes with being an adult, all your childhood you have been cautioned on the right thing to do, but when you reach 18, it is your choice whether you choose to be responsible or not.

Ergo, by the age of 18 there is a greater chance, that an untentional conception can be delt with more maturely, than if the parents are 16.

I believe the legal age of consent for such things should not be the earliest age possible, but rather the statistical average age at which youth exhibit wise decisions around these issues.

I.E. a 14 y/o may say that he / she are responsible, but in the heat of excitement, convinently forget to use a condom. At age 18, one should have the presence of mind not to make such mistakes, as well as the finance / presence of mind to cope if it happens.
Should being the operative word. A lot don't, though. In the 'heat of the moment' a lot of people are just like that 14 y/o who conveniently forget to use a condom.

#37 ·
I have no clue either. I'm sure it shifts depending on your position. Whether you're a parent, a high school counselor, a teenager, I don't know. I'm would say 18. I have a hard time knowing people younger then that are getting involved.

Actually, I worry most about the girls. It's so important to be treated respectfully. I think it takes many males longer to get to the point where they're mature enough to be respectful, not in all cases, but in many. If it's a sweet little love thing then by all means. And even it's not one of those things, mutual respect is still so importent. Very important to respect yourself and demand respect from others. I think most HS girls have a very hard time with that. Well, same with college aged women, but still...

#38 ·
Statistically speaking, most kids are screwing around by 17. Statistically speaking, 1/3 out of all American teens will get pregnant at twenty (and are on the rise). Statistically speaking, nearly 1/3 of all Americans do not graduate from high school. Looking just at statistics, one would say that most people should wait until they are at least out of their teen years (20-21) to have sex, but most do not. While they should be responsible enough at 18, statistics reflect that these "kids" are not ready, hence all the high school drops, high poverty rates, etc.

Therefore, I think people should wait until they AT LEAST have a high school diploma and a steady job to have sex (just in case pregnancy occurs). Most 18 year old do have a HS diploma, but they do not have the steady job nor the maturity to handle the CONSEQUENCES of sex (i.e. BABY). Hence why I think people should wait until 20/21 to have sex.

Just my opinion. And this goes for American teens. I don't have much info over what's going on in Europe.

#43 ·
Therefore, I think people should wait until they AT LEAST have a high school diploma and a steady job to have sex (just in case pregnancy occurs). Most 18 year old do have a HS diploma, but they do not have the steady job nor the maturity to handle the CONSEQUENCES of sex (i.e. BABY). Hence why I think people should wait until 20/21 to have sex.
That's what my mommy told me. :yes I was in middle school (I think 8th grade) when she told me (after many other decisions on what sex is, blah blah) that while she would like for me to wait till marriage, she knows that it's my decision and suggested that I at least wait until I'm in college because she didn't want what happened to her to happen to me. She was one of those girls who had to drop out of high school to take care of a child. Granted, she did go back to school and is pretty successful now, she would change that if she could.

I think that parents should talk to their kids from a certain perspective. My parents never used scare tactics or ultimatums or anything. They made sure I knew that sex itself is not a bad thing, that it's actually a very fun, lovely thing and the urges are natural and nothing to be ashamed of. They just wanted me to use my mind and not go into it without knowledge and understanding of what it meant. I think that if more kids had parents to tell them these things, less of them would end up in difficult situations.

#40 ·
Any time after 40 works for me! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.