Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were you like as a kid? Shy/quiet or bubbly/outgoing? Did you have a lot of friends and what were they like? What kind of things were you into and did you fit into the norm of childhood?

I was definitely weird. I was too shy to say names for a whole year at age 5... I had friends, the neighbourhood kids but we played "weird" games where we made up characters and pretended to be them and had a storyline, or be characters from tv shows or video games... I loved fantasy and didn't care about being "cool". I wore leggings every day instead of jeans. I had some school friends but they weren't as interesting to me we would have to play "normal" games like tag and hide and seek and sports.. Lol

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I was shy/quiet. Always have been, probably always will be :| lol. I enjoyed anime/fantasy a lot as a kid, those were my favorite tv shows, along with the other nickelodeon and cartoonnetwork shows. I had friends in my neighborhood, they sort of looked out for me cause I was too shy/quiet to look out for myself. I was extremely sensitive (as I am now) and I would sort of lash out in anger when I was made fun of or messed with, so I didn't have any bullies cause they knew I wasn't someone to mess with lol (until later on in my life unfortunately...). I also had real friends who I would joke around with and play tag with, I never see any of them now unfortunately cause they moved away and we just grew apart. And here I am suddenly suffering from SA, the end :no lol. I'm sure things'll get better though eventually, I'm seeing improvement and I believe that I can be social with practice :yes

·
No flex zone
2,333 Posts
I was really shy as a kid but had a lot of friends and was popular.
I got 'weird'... as a teenager. :b

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yes

When I was really young, I was always "off in my own world" at school and didn't care much for socializing. I have vivid memories of losing myself in daydreams for 10-20 minutes at a time, only to snap out of it and realize we were doing something completely different in class than when I'd started.

Any friends I had back in elementary school were those who approached me, or who my mom set me up with, lol.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I was so weird my grandmom said I must have been dropped on my head as a baby.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I was shy, never had a lot of friends. The few friends I usually had were a bit...odd. We always consider ourselves "weird". And we were sorta proud of it. Then again I was always paranoid as hell that everyone hated me, so I'd throw fits and yell at my classmates for looking at me the wrong way, which obviously meant they were plotting my demise and laughing at me behind my back...sigh. If they didn't think I was weird before, they certainly did after that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have always been shy and quiet, but I did have more friends when I was younger.
I used to play with kids in the neighborhood but as I slowly got older, I stayed inside to play my Playstation and Gameboy Color more and more. A lot of my friends moved away anyway.
I liked to play pretend games the most. I remember at a school daycare and a church daycare, I used to play pretend games where I was a Pokemon or Spyro the Dragon. I had one really good friend at each of those who I'd play those with. I had way more friends that were male then. Now I'm too scared to even look at guys.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think i was weird as a kid because my ADD was really bad back then, i had friends in my neighborhood including this one girl who was a little older than me and some friends in school but i have been bullied my whole life and doesn't help that i am quiet and shy, i can remember lashing out at people very easily and i even avoided some of my family members for a long time because of my shyness, sometimes i wonder how can my family still like me after all the bad stuff i did as a kid.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was an outgoing kid who had many friends. I've always been outgoing and energetic throughout my whole life.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was really weird as a kid. I had no social skills and was in my own world most of the time. I also liked to give people nicknames...without telling them. Once during recess I decided on the spot to start calling this one kid "Mustard." So I followed that kid around yelling "Mustard!" at hime. I confused a lot of people that day.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I think I pretty much fit the textbook definition of such as a kid. From the moment I became a sentient being on, I always deviated from the norm, whether that be consciously or unconsciously. I was eccentricity.

Always the "one" quiet kid, even among family. Always felt there was something missing with me. Always acquired knowledge and remembered things like I was just some telepathic alien to the other peers. Always seemed to be the "one" not quite that happy. Some other off-kilter things to note:

In 1st grade they had a day to bring your teddy bear to school. I brought a stuffed Donald Duck. That item WAS me. I was looked and marveled at like a museum exhibit.

Learned to read before I learned to speak. I even had to take speech classes, because I either couldn't talk properly or I talked in words that I simply made up.

Talked to people that weren't there (imaginary friends), even in front of actual people.

Memorized license plates and baseball card numbers to the point of scaring people. Especially when I would identify the person as the license plate of their car.

Early on, my version of entertainment came from mostly me and my strange ideas I came up with, as opposed to television and things people would get from movies and books.

So yes, I wasn't your standard functioning (if you could call it that?) child.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
I was "weird" as a child for sure.

I couldn't talk (like literally speak) until I was five years old, and I was friends with my video games, so much so that I resented this world because it wasn't like Summon Night. I rarely did anything with my school friends (which I only technically had 1), and on the weekends I used to go over to my other friend's house and play video games all day.

At school, I would only talk about cartoons and video games anyways, because that was all I knew as a child. I still have the same kind of presence when I was a kid: I was so sucky at everything that people talked to me because they knew they could beat me (mentally) if the need arose.

People called me a geek because I could actually spell lol. I can see why: I was EXTREMELY analytical (in my head of course, NEVER outside). I rarely answered people with multiple words, and my way of speaking was SO awkward that everything I said (unless i was shouting) sounded like a question. It usually was anyways (I wasn't interesting at all). the teachers would never see this as I was good academically.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
What were you like as a kid? Shy/quiet or bubbly/outgoing? Did you have a lot of friends and what were they like? What kind of things were you into and did you fit into the norm of childhood?

I was definitely weird. I was too shy to say names for a whole year at age 5... I had friends, the neighbourhood kids but we played "weird" games where we made up characters and pretended to be them and had a storyline, or be characters from tv shows or video games... I loved fantasy and didn't care about being "cool". I wore leggings every day instead of jeans. I had some school friends but they weren't as interesting to me we would have to play "normal" games like tag and hide and seek and sports.. Lol
That is the normal thing in the world.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hmm. I was very outgoing as a child. I was probably more outgoing than a majority of the children. I remember having a bunch of guy friends, being part of the cool group, always expressing my opinion. But over the years, I got quieter and weirder. I dunno what caused me to go from one extreme to the other, but something obviously did many years ago. Now I'm all reserved and always 'quiet'. I wish I knew what it was so I could face this annoying, quite obnoxious demon and move pass this SA.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts