Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were you popular or did you have friends or a good clique that saved you from a lot of sa situations because you were comfortable around them ? If you are in high school...you can change this question to the present tense!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I wasn't really popular, but I wasn't really unpopular either. To me though, and a lot of people I'm sure, popularity doesn't really have all that much to do with the ability to be social. A lot of the people I knew in high school, I knew since elementary, so I never really had to make friends. Although me and my 'friends' were never really close.

I was also on the football team, that always boosts popularity one or two notches.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was in the advanced math class track which only twenty students out of the entire school were part of. I naturally felt I had the most in common with them and became friends with them through highschool and beyond. I was popular with them but beyond that had only a few friends.

The my first girlfriend actually came from that class. I developed a crush on her in nineth grade but kept it to myself until junior year of Highschool. Even though we broke up before college I still think about her relatively often - it's funny how your first crush never really leaves you. I suppose highschool social experiences are much the same.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i wasn't popular but i wasn't unpopular. i got along with most of the kids. i had a group of friends but i didn't have any friends outside that group.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was pretty unpopular. I was always quiet in my classes whenever everyone else was talking. I had friends to hang out with but it was pretty quiet with them too. I guess having a friend in a class helped sometimes but with my luck, I barely had any classes with friends. Besides, I only had about two friends that I could actually talk to, so there wasn't a very high chance for me to get classes with them. Heh, I don't miss high school at all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was only popular with the popular people, and not the unpopular ones. Funny how that worked. :b

I never considered myself popular.. I even broke up a good friendship cos my friend was trying to become part of "the cool group that you're in so I can get girls" and I thought that was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard him say. And he kept saying it. ugh.. I was his only friend. He probably felt like **** after that, but I didn't care at the time.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
With girls - not really popular, there are some who like me, but I'm far too quiet around the popular girls to be considered a ladies man.

With guys - I seem to fit in fairly well with many of the more popular guys. I may not be as popular as elementary or middle school, but I'm up there. I never really had a problem making friends in that respect.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was never unpopular. Even though I was the bright kid in class I was never picked on. I actually feel I got more respect than I deserved. I also had a few good friends (all but one I have now lost contact with) since the classes consisted of pretty much the same people through all 12 years.

I've come to realize my high school was a little... different from other ones though. No sexual pressure, little bullying and not much clique-ing.

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I went from being a hanger-on with the smart/popular kids in the early elementary grades, to absolutely nobody in high school. By then I was an invisible loner-outcast who didn't belong to any clique. I guess I tended to gravitate toward the low-status clique that consisted of all the skater-, stoner-, punk-, grunge- and goth-types at the small-town high school I went to. I wasn't any of those, but they didn't really reject me, either.

·
Registered
880 Posts
jamesofmaine said:
I guess I tended to gravitate toward the low-status clique that consisted of all the skater-, stoner-, punk-, grunge- and goth-types at the small-town high school I went to.
:dito Me too. Most of my friends were hated by the "popular" kids.

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
Highly simplified and generalized social hierarchy at my high school, mid-1990's ('achieving' means academically):

1. Super-achieving, super-popular, upper-middle class preppy scholar-athletes. Our class officers came from these ranks, natually. Ignored me.

2. Popular dumb jocks and cheerleaders, regardless of academic achievement. Were always the cruelest to me

3. The high-achieving art/literary/music/theatre kids. Were OK to me.

4. The high-achieving science/computer/tech geeks. See above.

5. The average-to-low-achieving good-ol-boy (& girl) ********, alot of whom were junior firefighters and EMTs. Were generally nice to me.

6. Average-to-low achieving aforementioned skater-stoner-punk-grunge-goth-types. Smart, good-hearted, non-serious-deliquent kids, often from broken or dysfunctional homes, who felt marginalized by the socializing process of high school, and adopted their particular lifestyle/image as a form of peaceful protest.

7. Miscellaneous: Voc kids; foreign exchange students who didn't speak much English; etc.

8. Skids, serious delinquents, gangbanger wannabes, 'Deliverance' ********, drug dealers, hardcore junkies

Keep in mind, this doesn't reflect my opinion of any particular group, it's basically how kids got sorted by the socialization process at my high school.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was pretty much an outsider in high school. I hung out with some people for a while, but was never really comfortable around them. I mostly just kept to myself. :hide

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I was snubbed and gossipped about by the popular kids, treated okay by the intellectuals, ignored and even teased by the jocks, harassed cruelly by the delinquents and semidelinquents.

Overall, the negative far outweighs the positive. The equation results in not wanting to know "whatever happened to." I didn't attend my 10 year reunion, and don't want to go to the 15th.

If any of you are in high school, do your best to treat everybody kindly - it will be the way you are remembered for years afterward no matter what you accomplish!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nope not popular. But people knew me as the shy girl. I didn't get picked on which is good. And anyways the cool people were nice to me phew! In high school i think people saw me as a baby and try to protect me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts