Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was, and now that I look back I think that it's stupid. I grew up in a Christian family but didn't go to church for about 6 years simply because I realized that these were NOT my beliefs. After researching the bible I found that it supports slavery, unequal treatment of women, animal abuse, killing of innocent children, etc... I DO NOT even believe in this fairy tale book where people can fly, walk on water, where snakes and rocks talk, etc... I might as well believe in Harry Potter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was, and now that I look back I think that it's stupid. I grew up in a Christian family but didn't go to church for about 6 years simply because I realized that these were NOT my beliefs. After researching the bible I found that it supports slavery, unequal treatment of women, animal abuse, killing of innocent children, etc... I DO NOT even believe in this fairy tale book where people can fly, walk on water, where snakes and rocks talk, etc... I might as well believe in Harry Potter.
Wow, I think I have met my twin.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I grew up with a mother who thought that enforcing her religion on me was her duty because she 'promised a priest' that she would raise her family catholic. I was forced to take classes from elementary school all the way through high school until I was finally confirmed. When I was little I was pretty religious because I didn't really know any better, but as I grew older I started to resent everything about religion. The only good thing that came out of it was that I got a couple hundred dollars from family members for getting confirmed. Now I basically hate claiming that I have any sort of belief at all, I won't even say I'm atheist. I just want to be a nothing.

Even though I refuse to participate in religion, my mom still strongly holds beliefs and she has no idea that I don't consider myself Catholic. I guess she'll find out when I get married!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No, I was not raised into religion. Although I'd like to think even if I had been, I would've strayed away from it on my own.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was made to go to church a few times a year when I was a child, mainly at the instigation of my grandmother. The rest of my family was not religious or anything; only to the extent that all the children needed to be baptized into the religion.

Long story short I'm an atheist now. The change started when I became interested in politics and history and things like that, around six or so years ago.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I was made to go to church a few times a year when I was a child, mainly at the instigation of my grandmother. The rest of my family was not religious or anything; only to the extent that all the children needed to be baptized into the religion.

Long story short I'm an atheist now. The change started when I became interested in politics and history and things like that, around six or so years ago.
Going to church was just something we did, there was no forcing needed, this was like when I was really young, like kindergarden/early elementary school. Then we stopped then my mom wanted us to start going again in like around 9th grade, but I hated it-it was boring and meant nothing to me and I realized I was an atheist. But she still forced us to go.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I was made to to church as a child up to the age of about 11 or 12. I was also made to join the Boy's Brigade, which is a Christian organisation. I hated my time there, I was bullied by the other children but had to keep going. I stopped going to church and Boy's Brigade as soon as I was a teenager.

I don't think children should be made to go to church, as they are having their parent's beliefs enforced on them at an age when they are very impressionable. I think people should be allowed to make up their own mind on what their beliefs are, not have them forced on them as children.

I think children should be taught about various religions in an unbiased way, learning where the religions originated from, and also be taught that a lot of people are also atheist, so that they can be knowledgable of all the various beliefs and so form their own opinions on what they believe in. This would hopefully lead to people having true beliefs rather than blindly following a faith without really knowing why they do.

·
one stop away
1,454 Posts
Yeah, I was made to go to church every week as a kid by my mother and grandmother. I also went to church camp every summer in junior high but that was actually really fun so I didn't mind. And then in high school I went (of my own choice) to youth group every week instead of the traditional church session--again it was mostly to be with my friends, I wasn't really interested in the bigger message. When I came out as an atheist in 12th grade, nearly all the people I had befriended in church were surprisingly supportive.

As for being raised Christian, the only thing I would complain about is the fact that I was way too sheltered growing up, and most of it was very unnecessary and only served to make me feel like an outsider.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My parents took me to church when I was a child. And I'm glad that they did.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yeah my family was very religous up until I was around age 14 or so. My dad was even a preacher. Our whole family did a complete 180 though and none of my immediate family attend church regularly now. I haven't been in probably 8 or 9 years. I can understand why they made me go though. I was a kid and did what I was told. If I was religious and had kids I would probably drag them as well.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yup, up until six or seven my parents took me. Paternal side of the family was staunch catholic. Though they spooked me so much I was the one insisting that my parents take me to church for a lot longer.

Glad I'm free of that now. Around 14 pr 15 I began to realize I didn't believe in it. Happier than ever as an atheist for a few years now.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
No. My mom took me a few times when I was really young, but I wouldn't call it forced. I'm not sure when the last time was that I went to church. It has to be approaching two decades since I've been to church.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Yeah. I went to a parochial elementary school, so I went to church every Friday from 1st to 4th grade. And I went to Methodist, then Presbyterian, then Unitarian, then Episcopalian church with my mother every Sunday (my mom moved around churches a lot) until I was about 18. At that age I started going to Mass, and my mom refused to go with me. For some reason that (Roman Catholicism) was the only denomination she'd never even attend church with.

But yeah, I went to Sunday school, got confirmed as a Presbyterian, was in the youth choir and youth group. I always liked church.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I had to go with the parents when I was younger. Eventually, we just stopped going. Haven't been inside a church in years. I'm fine with that. Maybe I was going to the wrong church anyway and just making God madder and madder.

I don't think children should be made to go to church, as they are having their parent's beliefs enforced on them at an age when they are very impressionable. I think people should be allowed to make up their own mind on what their beliefs are, not have them forced on them as children.

I think children should be taught about various religions in an unbiased way, learning where the religions originated from, and also be taught that a lot of people are also atheist, so that they can be knowledgable of all the various beliefs and so form their own opinions on what they believe in.
In a perfect world, that's how it would be done. I'm wondering how many religious people would really want that, though. If they're serious, really take this stuff as truth, they'd want their kids indoctrinated into the 'correct' religion. Learning about all those other false religions might lead to horrible consequences, such as eternal damnation.

This would hopefully lead to people having true beliefs rather than blindly following a faith without really knowing why they do.
Right. And that could be a real problem.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Never stepped foot in a church.

Oh, once for a wedding.

I believed in god as a kid (parents atheist) I think because of what I was told in school. At that age I think I had a problem comprehending a world that wasn't 'created'. I pretty much stopped believing somewhere in primary school.

I actually think I remember the point where I stopped believing. It was a nice moment of independent thought.
I was watching a cartoon once, with stories about the bible (nothing else on I assume). It had one character, an Egyptian I think, talking to a christian. The christian said something about how 'god' helped him and will save him. The Egyptian says, "but which god is that?" and starts naming all different gods he believes in.
The Christian replies "there is only one true god".
I remember being quite angry at this arrogant statement. "Says who? Why can't his gods be true? You offer no more evidence than him".

·
Registered
137 Posts
Forced to go to a Catholic Church from as far back as I can remember until the age of 18. It was horrible, and I would never MAKE my kids go. When I was sick, I still had to go.

When I was 16 and got pregnant, I was forced to go to a priest in church and proffess my sins.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was for a while. My mothers side of my family is very religious, my fathers side is is also christian but they intentionally try to avoid making religion/politics a topic of conversation (which I can't tell you how grateful I am for it.)

When I was younger I was really pissed off about being forced to go. But looking back on it as an adult I don't care. I know their intentions were good and you can't expect more than that from people. At worst I lost a few hours of my weekend which I wasn't exactly doing a lot with anyway.

My biggest problem with it now isn't that it sucked to go but rather my lack of faith makes it difficult for me to talk to anyone on my mothers side of my family.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts