Were/are your parents overprotective?

• Yes

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 21.3%

Were/are your parents overprotective?

2K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  twitchy666 
#1 ·
If so, do you think it negatively influenced your growth and s.a. by not being fully exposed to the world at a young age?

#4 ·
Well my Dad didn't really hang out with us much and he was one who never gave a crap.

My Mom (who took care of my brother and me) wasn't overprotective in the slightest bit. This isn't to say she let us do a bunch of stupid stuff...we were never the type of kids to do it...

#6 ·
The thing is, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents (just one set mostly) as well when I was younger, but not that I remember.

More importantly because I was always shy around adults, my mum would usually speak for me when I wouldn't speak to adults. So I think less over protective and more controlling in some instances.

I thought about it a lot and then somewhat recently while I was ordering Chinese food I met her on the way so she came in with me, and then was badgering me to double check if the woman had written everything down because she wasn't sure even though I was like pretty sure. I told her off for doing that... She made my anxiety worse just for being there and nagging.

She doesn't really do stuff like that any more because I think she's realised the negative impact it's probably had on me.

My dad was probably a little over protective in some respects but not really. He didn't want me to move away to go to uni though and tried to talk me out of it at one point.

I don't remember a lot of that sort of thing now so it's hard to remember. I am really obsessed with having autonomy over my life now though, to my own detriment sometimes unfortunately, and I'm sure that is related.

#7 ·
Extremely. I didn't have to do many chores as a child. I was just told to focus on my studies. All I really did was study, play piano, read, write, and play sometimes.

I was an Army brat, though, so when we had to move, I always had the most difficult time transitioning and would cry my eyes out, thinking the world was ending. At 18, I couldn't go into a fast food place and order food because I was so sheltered. I wasn't allowed to watch a kissing scene on tv until I was 16!

Not the best way to raise your kids. By the time I was 18, I was one big fat mess. Scared of everything. I drank a lot.

#8 ·
Mine definitely were, and still are. Never really go punished as a child (not that I did anything that required punishment), got everything I asked for, they tried to protect me from hard situations rather than let me live through it. I think it has to do with my being sick often as a child, and to be honest it makes me feel guilty for even having SA. I feel like they gave me everything and this is what I'm giving them in return.

#9 ·
My grandparents were crazy overrprotective up until they're death when I was 12 I wasn't allowed to walk more than three house from our house. Everywhere I went I had to have my grandfather there and I think it affected to the point where I always needed someone with me especially when things got rough. But i'm coming out of it.

#11 ·
I would say, sort of, though it came in the form of always assuming the worst case scenario that created anxiety ridden siblings (my brother and I) who engage in analysis/paralysis on every decision where the joy has been sucked out of most things.

My parents were artists in coming up with all the ways in which a given scenario would end in disaster. They'd do this, in hopes that we'd choose to not take the risk.

Unfortunately, it created anxiety instead. To this day, they still will say "Be careful" or "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" instead of "Sounds great!"

Grrr...fml.

#15 ·
My mom was and still is. She tried to call my work a couple times when I had very late delivery runs. Luckily, they weren't answering the phones at the time. To this day she calls multiple times everyday and worries something is wrong if I don't talk to her at least once a day. She even was coming over if I didn't answer until I complained about her waking my girlfriend and me up. We both have odd hours. So now I make sure to call.

#17 ·
Interesting. And yes I was given a false sense of reality in my childhood. My father was a total alcoholic who beat me up. While my mother was the sweetest most nurturing person imaginable. However, despite my father I had an overall decent childhood and I lived far back in the woods away from society so I think this altered me because I was so sheltered. I am almost in SHOCK of the real world at times.

#18 ·
I think I was much too sheltered and fed strong opinions than actual facts. I grew up fearing that every boy and man were likely to be bad people, and that I just had to keep being "good" for people to like me. If I were allowed to fall down more often and to venture into the world and learn on my own earlier in life I think I would be in a better place than now. But I shouldn't dwell on the could have/would have/should haves.

#20 ·
Yep

cottonwoolled

on advice of the deitious doctor who knows everything

therefore kept shielded from reality

ummm...
a fresh thought that we are at this current stage
we are building this self-communist protection

the roots in babyhood is where proper lessons are taught
when I see toddlers of any race in their wiry wheeled grocery carts who act surprised, dumbfound or startled in fear & tears when they see me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.