Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been trying to go out as much as possible, even if it means pushing my comfort level.

I went to my one friend's 19th birthday at a club (even though I don't drink and I knew everyone involved would be) awhile back, and since I had such low expectations I didn't have too bad of a time. Of course, I managed to sit in the same spot all night (and somehow became the person to guard purses) and had minimal conversation with people. It was only a triumph in the sense that I went out.

Yesterday I went down to the pub (a setting I much more prefer) for my other friend's birthday. It ended up being most of her other group of friends that I've never met and when I sat down she was too far away from me to have a conversation! But surprisingly, this was one of the best nights I had out for a long time. There was this one guy sitting beside me that striked up a conversation with me and I ended talking to him most of the night even though I had just met him! Since my conversation with him had gone so well I was just beaming with confidence and actually talked with other people I barely knew!

I was so incredibly proud of myself. This guy totally helped alot by talking with me. Sometimes I think for someone with social anxiety, you just need the right person to give you a chance.

Thanks for reading. I'm still so over excited about those events! Hope everyone else on SAS will have triumphs that make them feel good, too!

·
Registered
96 Posts
To be honest, I think it's normal for a lot of people to be meek and keep to themselves when they are alone in a social setting. That's usually why they arrive with friends.

You really succeeded beyond a lot of people I know--and I don't think they have SA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts