Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I went to my older sister's wedding (along with the rest of my family). There were about 70 people there. It went quite well (especially since there was an open bar, which helped my SA). Most of the people who attended were family of the groom. He has a lot of relatives with kids. Also, friends of the bride and groom attended too.

Meeting people in general is difficult for me. I'm kind of a loner. Simply introducing myself to someone or being introduced by someone to somebody else is difficult for me. I find I can meet most people in a room but for some reason I can't meet everyone. To compound the problem, the more time passes and you still haven't introduced yourself to a person the more awkward it becomes! I feel as though they might think I don't want to meet them. Even though they could theoretically come over to me and introduce themselves, it's somehow my fault.

The next day, some of the people at the wedding attended the bride and groom's gift opening at my parent's house. 3 of the people there were people I didn't meet the day before at the wedding. When I introduced myself to them I think they secretly thought "oh look, it's the elitist, unfriendly guy who snubbed us yesterday." I then believe I have to some how make up for my social mistakes with them. I become a bit sad.

Do you think they're really thinking this?

Does anyone else find it difficult to meet everyone at a party? Please share your experiences.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll just say this...if I go to a wedding, I do not introduce myself to anyone. If someone introduces me to someone, I just mumble a nice to meet you and that's about it.

So I think you already went above and beyond and I can't imagine that anyone has a chance to introduce themselves to everyone on such a busy day!

·
That Quiet Girl
66 Posts
Interesting. My elder sister is having her wedding this Saturday. I'm a little nervous, but I'm going anyway because I want to be there for her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts