Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Social Virgin
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first tournament ever and it was for Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I've been following the Melee scene since '06, for 8 years. I've always been kind of a "spectator", watching Youtube videos of tournaments but never going to one because it was too much of a "leap" out of my comfort zone.

But this year, a theme that I've had going on is to take chances and make the best of life. That, plus a really hype documentary about Smash, led me to go to my first tournament.

I had a lot of thoughts and "what-if's" running through my mind at first. I thought: these guys have had years to hone and perfect their game, I'm going to get wrecked. I thought that I would feel out of place. That I'd just find myself in another situation where I feel like total crap. I was nervous, too. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure and that I'd choke.

But then, it all worked out. My years of practicing on AIs and watching matches on Youtube gave me an idea what to do. I didn't choke too hard and I was able to have a decent performance. Some people even complimented that I was playing great for a first-timer. I totally forgot that I was feeling lost in life or that I had nowhere to belong and it was like my existence was contained solely in this game I've had my eyes on since childhood (I was 9 or 10 when I first got into the game, and I got into following the competitive scene around 13/14).

I learned a lot. I found out why people get on planes to play this game. I found out that there was a world of difference between watching and playing. And I feel like I also made a lot of progress as a person from this one tournament.

All I had to do was pick up the controller.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's awesome! I too love gaming and would love to enter something competitive. My problem is I perform poorly when people are expecting me to be great.

Great job though!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Congrats brother!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.