Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up to a meeting group a few weeks ago, to expand my social circle. You know, take the risk by putting myself out there and I met them for the first time earlier on today and only just got back about 20 minutes ago, and I got to tell you that it went better than expected. Even though there was 6 people, I was talking to them for about 3 hours or so (no exaggeration neither) I ordered some food (I brought two chicken wraps which was expensive especially considering just how small they were) and It took me about an hour to eat because I was their with my food in my hands just talking on and on, until I politely asked the person I talked to, for us to talk after I'm done clearing my plate. Throughout the evening I didn't stutter or anything and I was able to think of things to say right on the spot.

My only regret was that there was a beautiful waitress at the bar, I really wanted to ask her for her number but I'm afraid I didn't do it. But besides that I enjoyed myself and would love to go to another meet up as well sometime. Who know's my confidence level may strike even higher and If I end up going to the same place, or somewhere different then there maybe a bigger change in which I would talk to her or another woman and ask her out. Life is definitely like an RPG game. Got to get that experience and then you'll level up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I found a meetup.com group in my city for anxiety / depression get-togethers.
Unfortunately they all seem to be a bit older than me.. :(

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a meetup.com group in my city for anxiety / depression get-togethers.
Unfortunately they all seem to be a bit older than me.. :(
Trust me I feel your pain, I was the youngest one there as well. But it is stepping out of our comfort zones right? I know I did.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Congratulations, sounds like it went well :D

I've forced myself to go to some meet-ups in the past but I wasn't able to talk and socialize normally like all the other people seemed to be able to do. So it was a little less than a stellar experience..lol.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Congrats on doing so well! :) What kind of meetup was it?

My friend invited me to one tomorrow and I want to go, but don't think I could do it. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Awesome going, again though! :high5

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on doing so well! :) What kind of meetup was it?

My friend invited me to one tomorrow and I want to go, but don't think I could do it. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Awesome going, again though! :high5
It was an ex JW meet up (i'm not an ex JW but I wanted to go to learn how to prepare for my next meet up when JW's come knocking on my door).
I was a bit nervous, plus I didn't know where the place was, so I had no choice but to ask random people (one whilst on the bus I just turned around and asked the person behind me, then after that I had a conversation with the stranger talking about life and stuff until he had to get off, and I ended up getting off the wrong stop (silly me), so I just asked more people where the place is).

What kind of meet up you going to?

·
<3 <3 <3
2,477 Posts
I signed up to a meeting group a few weeks ago, to expand my social circle. You know, take the risk by putting myself out there and I met them for the first time earlier on today and only just got back about 20 minutes ago, and I got to tell you that it went better than expected. Even though there was 6 people, I was talking to them for about 3 hours or so (no exaggeration neither) I ordered some food (I brought two chicken wraps which was expensive especially considering just how small they were) and It took me about an hour to eat because I was their with my food in my hands just talking on and on, until I politely asked the person I talked to, for us to talk after I'm done clearing my plate. Throughout the evening I didn't stutter or anything and I was able to think of things to say right on the spot.

My only regret was that there was a beautiful waitress at the bar, I really wanted to ask her for her number but I'm afraid I didn't do it. But besides that I enjoyed myself and would love to go to another meet up as well sometime. Who know's my confidence level may strike even higher and If I end up going to the same place, or somewhere different then there maybe a bigger change in which I would talk to her or another woman and ask her out. Life is definitely like an RPG game. Got to get that experience and then you'll level up.
:boogie well done for going!!:yes

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
It was an ex JW meet up (i'm not an ex JW but I wanted to go to learn how to prepare for my next meet up when JW's come knocking on my door).
I was a bit nervous, plus I didn't know where the place was, so I had no choice but to ask random people (one whilst on the bus I just turned around and asked the person behind me, then after that I had a conversation with the stranger talking about life and stuff until he had to get off, and I ended up getting off the wrong stop (silly me), so I just asked more people where the place is).

What kind of meet up you going to?
Oh okay, that sounds interesting :)

It's one where people play board games together. I like stuff like Monopoly, LIFE, Scattergories, etc. so I think it'd be fun. I'm just especially **** with strangers. It's horrifying lol.

Do you see yourself going to anymore meetups in the future?

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh okay, that sounds interesting :)

It's one where people play board games together. I like stuff like Monopoly, LIFE, Scattergories, etc. so I think it'd be fun. I'm just especially **** with strangers. It's horrifying lol.

Do you see yourself going to anymore meetups in the future?
Ah right, that's not bad at all. I've played monopoly before but the other's I've never heard off but that's just me. The people you'll be around will immediately share a common interest with you, who knows you may hear some really humorous commentary on the games you play whilst your there. Which might cause you to have so much fun you'll forget you got SA. Do you know how to break the ice?

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Ah right, that's not bad at all. I've played monopoly before but the other's I've never heard off but that's just me. The people you'll be around will immediately share a common interest with you, who knows you may hear some really humorous commentary on the games you play whilst your there. Which might cause you to have so much fun you'll forget you got SA. Do you know how to break the ice?
Not particularly, no. I get nervous, talk to the floor, and come off as a weirdo at first :lol. I don't mean to take over your thread btw. Any advice would be awesome and you can PM me if need be :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Aw that's great! I singed up for two this wk, hopefully all goes well. Sadly, they'll prob be my last until like the summer

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's good to hear that it went well. I started going to a couple of meetups a few months ago and have enjoyed them so far.

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not particularly, no. I get nervous, talk to the floor, and come off as a weirdo at first :lol. I don't mean to take over your thread btw. Any advice would be awesome and you can PM me if need be :D
Ah right yeah, trust me I feel your pain I been there before. Now I just use a cheesy pick up line or simply say "hi how are you, I'm derek what's your name.." then because I don't really know what to say to that particular person or people I just say ":D haha well is awkward, I'm 21 and got all those years of experience and can't really think of what to say right now" (I'd say that in a way as though I were the british ryan reynolds with his sarcasm) then they'd usually relate to you in that sense, or you can just say with a smile and soft but eager tonal voice "tell me about yourself" and then that person will either tell you about themselves or struggle and that'll lead to more questions you are bound to think off on the spot. Hope that helps.

·
dezzy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah right yeah, trust me I feel your pain I been there before. Now I just use a cheesy pick up line or simply say "hi how are you, I'm derek what's your name.." then because I don't really know what to say to that particular person or people I just say ":D haha wel THIS is awkward, I'm 21 and got all those years of experience and can't really think of what to say right now" (I'd say that in a way as though I were the british ryan reynolds with his sarcasm) then they'd usually relate to you in that sense, or you can just say with a smile and soft but eager tonal voice "tell me about yourself" and then that person will either tell you about themselves or struggle and that'll lead to more questions you are bound to think off on the spot. Hope that helps.
Sorry grammatical error.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Ah right yeah, trust me I feel your pain I been there before. Now I just use a cheesy pick up line or simply say "hi how are you, I'm derek what's your name.." then because I don't really know what to say to that particular person or people I just say ":D haha well is awkward, I'm 21 and got all those years of experience and can't really think of what to say right now" (I'd say that in a way as though I were the british ryan reynolds with his sarcasm) then they'd usually relate to you in that sense, or you can just say with a smile and soft but eager tonal voice "tell me about yourself" and then that person will either tell you about themselves or struggle and that'll lead to more questions you are bound to think off on the spot. Hope that helps.
Thanks. I ended up going and there wasn't too much talking anyway since we were playing games. I made a dick out of myself though so there goes that.

Thanks for your advice anyway man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts