Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my therapist has been trying to get me to go to this young adults group therapy thing for a little while and I finally was able to force myself to go today. I just kept telling myself, "You can do this" over and over. When my mind tried to sneak negative thoughts into my head about what if I was put on the spot or what I should say I blocked it all out. I made myself only take one step at a time. Step one, being just drive there. Go into the office, etc. etc. After pushing myself thus far, I find myself infront of the door to the group therapy and there is a sign that says all groups were cancelled today. Of course I felt a rush of relief but after all that anxiety and pushing myself like that I was disappointed. Despite everything though, I'm pretty proud of myself for just getting to the door today. I know it may seem small, but it's a big deal to me and I'm proud of myself. Next week for real. ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's a great step! What benefit does your therapist think a young adults therapy group is going to have for you though? Is it an SA related group>

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just generalized for people with different issues. We both thought it would be a good idea to just meet people/socialize. My anxiety is worse with people around my age so forcing myself to do that I think would be helpful. Plus, I'm hoping maybe I'd make a friend or two out of it.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
good job! I go to group therapy too in addition to regular individual therapy. I t really has helped me so far but the first time i was really reallly nervous. groups of people make me nervous so I understand how hard it is to go. It gets easier and easier the more you go now i look forward to going to group.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts