Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well there was some crazy flooding last night, which we never see here. down the block a neighbor's house and the road had turned into a lake. there's not much we could so I just wanted to see what it looks like. (plus, with my level of SA it would be very hard to just stick around there... I'm sorry to say. if it was a total emergency I would do what I could, but it was mostly lost cause and a bit of moving they had people to handle.)

The thing is I'm afraid of most of my neighbor's and even walking down the street anymore. Not to mention my parents were down there, and they are one of the worst agitators of my SA.

So it took an hour of very difficulty trying to get myself to do it... but then at one point... I just lost feeling about it and did it! And ironically all my fears were absurd, there was not a giant crowd, nobody questioned me or made me the center of attention... except for my mother, but I'm learning to disregard everything she says as nuts. For instance, I smiled at people there and gave a nod when they would walk by - to me that's the same as a friendly hi... but my mother is going on and on about why don't you say hi. Guess what mom, you're nuts and obsessive about social interaction and I'll handle it my way, thanks. Anyway at least I did it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is so evocative of things I've done. For some weird reason, I just went and did something and the anxiety wasn't there like usual.
:clap

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
It's probably because when there's some kind of event or spectacle, everyone is focused on it, rather than the people around them....

·
Registered
182 Posts
travo said:
For instance, I smiled at people there and gave a nod when they would walk by - to me that's the same as a friendly hi... but my mother is going on and on about why don't you say hi. Guess what mom, you're nuts and obsessive about social interaction and I'll handle it my way, thanks. Anyway at least I did it.
A nod is good enough, i give and receive them all the time. Once you're comfortable with that then you can start saying hi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts