Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a psychiatrist today and he said that i could take an SSRI like Prozac.. or take Wellbutrin..but he said Wellbutrin is good for my depression but wont help my anxiety.

So... I did a little research on it and so Wellbutrin increases the dopamine in your brain.. which is like the pleasure hormone or something?

anyways.. so did anyone here take Wellbutrin? Did you improve in some ways?

I hear how SSRIs make some people emotionally numb and feel sluggish. does Wellbutrin do that too?

For those who have also taken an SSRI before, how did you feel taking SSRIs versus taking Wellbutrin?

and what about with weight?

and.. which drug gave you more energy and made you more alert? because it seems SSRIs do the opposite....?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
taking an ssri like zoloft and paxil helped my depression/mood and anxiety. wellbutrin unfortunately didnt do anything for me except decrease my appetite and give me constipation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I first started taking Wellbutrin, I felt happier. But after a few days on it, my anxiety increased a lot. As a result I got very depressed. Wellbutrin didn't make me feel numb but I did feel sluggish at times. Maybe the sluggishness was the result of my increased anxiety.

I did feel numb and sluggish while taking SSRI's.

SSRI's worked better for me. But the weight gain and other side effects just aren't worth it to me. That is why I don't take anything now.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Low interaction SSRIs like Sertraline/Citalopram/Escitalopram can advantageously be combined with Wellbutrin.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
anyways.. so did anyone here take Wellbutrin? Did you improve in some ways?
It helped motivation and happiness somewhat, but catapulted my anxiety into overdrive. Do not take Wellbutrin if you have anxiety disorders unless you are already medicated for them.

I hear how SSRIs make some people emotionally numb and feel sluggish. does Wellbutrin do that too?
Nope, it does the opposite.

For those who have also taken an SSRI before, how did you feel taking SSRIs versus taking Wellbutrin?
In my eyes, they are drugs for entirely different purposes. Both can be classed as "antidepressants", but such a broad, generic term isn't useful when treating different depressive states (i.e. classic "sadness" depression vs. atypical, anergic depression).

and what about with weight?
Wellbutrin can cause weight-loss; gain is extremely unlikely. The opposite applies to most SSRIs.

and.. which drug gave you more energy and made you more alert? because it seems SSRIs do the opposite....?
As Medline said, an ideal treatment approach would be to combine an SSRI with Wellbutrin. Take your SSRI at night (see my other thread) and the Wellbutrin in the morning for energy -> all problems solved! Psychiatric ecstasy at its finest...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts