Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
I'll reverse your reverb
3,240 Posts
Have taken this for many months now and it has helped with decreasing feelings of hopelessness along with keeping me motivated. Never experienced any side effects other than messed up sleep patterns, but I've learned to just cope with that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shudder when I hear the word Wellbutrin. I started on it about a year ago, and immediately noticed that I couldn't sleep. At all. The little sleep I did get was plagued by awful nightmares. I would wake up sweaty and anxious. After a few weeks I was basically a walking zombie, and I was angry. So angry! Angry at my life, the world, everything. In all my life I had never had an angry bone in my body and suddenly I wanted to strangle everyone who crossed my path. I didn't even feel like myself anymore. I was so bad, I couldn't take care of myself. I had to quit my job and move back in with my parents for awhile. I wasn't in great shape before starting Wellbutrin, and there were other factors that contributed to having to leave my job, but I am quite certain that I could have worked through it much less painfully,if it weren't for how I reacted to Wellbutrin.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wellbutrin was hell for me. What I experienced:

1. inability to sleep
2. increasingly suicidal with ideations taking over
3. loss of appetite which lead to a weight loss of 10 pounds
4. depressed
5. lack of motivation
6. increased irritability
7. increased moodiness to almost a manic level

I was and became crazy unstable and increasingly worse. I AM NOT diagnosed with depression rather he put me on this crap to help with my anxiety and 'motivate' me. As a result, I became nothing but unstable. It may work if you are severely depressed or chemically off in that way but for helping with anxiety if you are mostly emotionally stable, 0/10. At that rate I would've been dead within 2 months.

The price I paid for a Psychiatrist avoiding to give out benzos. Which DO safely and have effectively worked for me in the past. If you can't tell, I hated Wellbutrin. If you don't have extreme depression or whatever and really need help with anxiety, avoid!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was experiencing some anxiety and mild depression related to raising my anxiety ridden teenager, and dealing with my parents who are pushing 90. I mentioned this to my doctor and wondered if I should start taking something for my anxiety, but wasn't interested in an SSRI. He suggested Wellbutrin which he said may also help me with my AD/HD............. Oh look a squirrel! JK

Anyway, I started taking this evil crap, and I almost didn't survive it. My mild depression become a debilitating morbid depression. I was on the medication for about three weeks when I found myself sitting on my couch at 3:00 PM on a sunny afternoon contemplating suicide. I decided to stop taking the medication immediately, and went to the cabinet and flushed the **** down the toilet.

I was told by a couple of people who have taken the drug that it may take a month or more for you to realize the benefit of the medication, but I wasn't sure I'd make it that long. It was the STRANGEST thing. After being off it for a few days, I began to feel better and was still a bit stressed, but not going out on any ledges.

Due to me being kind of cranky, and short tempered lately, my wife has finally convinced me to take an SSRI. So I started Lexapro three days ago. 10mg. Today I am just started to notice a, "feeling". It's hard to explain. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. It's just kind of even keeled which I guess isn't so bad. I was hoping for sunshine in a bottle. Any thoughts out there on Lexapro..... ?

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Wellbutrin was hell for me. What I experienced:

1. inability to sleep
2. increasingly suicidal with ideations taking over
3. loss of appetite which lead to a weight loss of 10 pounds
4. depressed
5. lack of motivation
6. increased irritability
7. increased moodiness to almost a manic level

I was and became crazy unstable and increasingly worse. I AM NOT diagnosed with depression rather he put me on this crap to help with my anxiety and 'motivate' me. As a result, I became nothing but unstable. It may work if you are severely depressed or chemically off in that way but for helping with anxiety if you are mostly emotionally stable, 0/10. At that rate I would've been dead within 2 months.

The price I paid for a Psychiatrist avoiding to give out benzos. Which DO safely and have effectively worked for me in the past. If you can't tell, I hated Wellbutrin. If you don't have extreme depression or whatever and really need help with anxiety, avoid!
I actually asked my psychiatrist about it because it's listed on wikipedia and she said it would make my anxiety worse...

How long were you on it?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I actually asked my psychiatrist about it because it's listed on wikipedia and she said it would make my anxiety worse...

How long were you on it?
I was on 100mg for 3 weeks. My symptoms steadily got worse and worse while on it. At the 3 week mark, I reached the height of all and I had already lost 10 pounds. It was then that I decided for myself to not take another pill and contacted my Dr (whom I'm not a fan of) to inform him of all I had gone through.

I've been off the Wellbutrin for almost 2 weeks now and I'm stable again. Beware of Wikipedia! There is an interesting poll on this site that I'll see if I can link for you but it doesn't look good for Wellbutrin (in regards to anxiety) as well as multiple examples in this thread. I like your psychiatrist already :)

found it: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...ications-have-been-succesful-for-your-186166/

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Anyway, I started taking this evil crap, and I almost didn't survive it. My mild depression become a debilitating morbid depression. I was on the medication for about three weeks when I found myself sitting on my couch at 3:00 PM on a sunny afternoon contemplating suicide. I decided to stop taking the medication immediately, and went to the cabinet and flushed the **** down the toilet.

Due to me being kind of cranky, and short tempered lately, my wife has finally convinced me to take an SSRI. So I started Lexapro three days ago. 10mg. Today I am just started to notice a, "feeling". It's hard to explain. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. It's just kind of even keeled which I guess isn't so bad. I was hoping for sunshine in a bottle. Any thoughts out there on Lexapro..... ?
I also read about how you should take it longer to experience the 'full benefits' of it....does that include actually committing suicide? I mean, honestly. Those who say that or said that weren't experiencing the range of fully wanting to die as well as the other bad effects. Generally when that is said (psychiatrist's say this too), it's to let it 'build up' in your system but that doesn't include dangerous or deadly side effects. Anyone worth anything will immediately pull a patient off of it. You don't **** around with that!

I was on another SSRI before (Zoloft, so I can't speak for Lexapro). It DID help with my anxiety. I felt what you said you are feeling at first. It was something but barely noticeable. The Dr. will likely slowly up your dosage to the point that you are feeling the full benefits. Then again, I was severely depressed at the time as well as full blown anxiety and noticed improvements. Bad side effects of SSRI's do include uh...sexual ones so be on the lookout for that. GL finding the right meds, it can be a pain.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
3,995 Posts
I've been taking Wellbutrin for depression for approx. the past two years, and in that regard it does work. It does absolutely nothing for anxiety. I did have to drop from 300mg to 150mg a few months ago on account of side effects.

The first week I took it, I felt like a hummingbird. The next several months I was prone to intense mood swings, but that stabilized over time. I took the generic version for about a week, but went back to the brand name as for whatever reason the generic gave me headaches. My sleep patterns are chaotic. :cup

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
I've been on this, taking 300 mg a day, for about a month. One side effect is that I don't sleep as much but don't feel tired or sleepy even after a few days. I can go to bed at night and wake up after 6 hours fully rested. I can't even sleep 8 hours if I tried. There wouldn't be a point.

Does it help? Maybe. But I have mood swings. Sometimes I'm manic, other times I'm depressed. Doesn't really help with anxiety. I get fidgety sometimes (dystonia).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on 150 mg of generic Wellbutrin XL for the first month starting up. The generic Wellbutrin was terrible, giving me stomach pain and headaches, as well as the feeling of it being wore off in the evening time. Switched to the brand name Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and seems to be better. And by better I just mean the side effects have gone away, the medication itself doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just went back to my GP and plain told him I feel like crap and it doesn't feel like the meds are doing anything positive. He increased the Wellbutrin XL 150 mg to twice daily, one to be taken in the morning and one at noon time. I take it along with 20 mg of generic Prozac and 50 mg of Lamictal at bedtime for those who are interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah Wellbutrin, old buddy. It's been about ten years since I left it.

No side effects that I can remember. At best it would leave me in a neutral state, I wouldn't feel depressed or angered but I wouldn't feel motivated either.

158 Posts
I've been experiencing a lot of the same symptoms after taking Wellbutrin (e.g. depression, low energy, low motivation, unstable moods, etc) but I've only been taking it for a week and at a much lower dose: 75 mg. The nurse practitioner said I could go off it whenever I wanted but to give it a chance. I'm not sure whether to keep taking it for longer to see what happens but I really want to get these symptoms under control soon since school starts in a few days. I started taking Luvox about a month ago too which may have something to do with it but I feel like my mood got worse when I started taking Wellbutrin. Do you think it's too early to quit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't Quit Wellbutrin Yet

I've been experiencing a lot of the same symptoms after taking Wellbutrin (e.g. depression, low energy, low motivation, unstable moods, etc) but I've only been taking it for a week and at a much lower dose: 75 mg. The nurse practitioner said I could go off it whenever I wanted but to give it a chance. I'm not sure whether to keep taking it for longer to see what happens but I really want to get these symptoms under control soon since school starts in a few days. I started taking Luvox about a month ago too which may have something to do with it but I feel like my mood got worse when I started taking Wellbutrin. Do you think it's too early to quit?
Yes, it's too early to quit! Unless you're having some dire side effects (like the jitters), take it at least six more weeks.

My first reaction was "75 mg, really?" That's because I was told more than once that 100 MG is the lowest dose you can get. It's the lowest I can get in Kentucky, I know.

My next reaction was that 75 mg isn't enough but I don't know anything about Luvox. I started out on 100 mg XL and pretty much everyone told me that wasn't enough to work. 3-6 months later, I went on 300 mg XL and that helped me a lot better for a long time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another note to "quietriverrunsdeep": Be sure to check with your pharmacist about taking these meds together. Believe me, they know more than most doctors in that area. Either medicine might work by itself (or not) but the two together could cause big problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was on Wellbutrin for about a month, and it made me SO agitated and angry all the time! I've never been like that in my life. On top of that, it caused my anxiety to get even worse! I felt so terrible and mad, so I stopped taking it. The reason I went on Wellbutrin was because I wanted to go on a medication that didn't cause weight gain, so the doc prescribed it. I stopped taking it about a month ago. Looks like I might go back on Zoloft, which did help I just didn't like the side effects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took wellbutrin extended release 150 mg for only 3 days...I've always been very introvert.Never in my life have I been able to speak out my mind so clearly and defend my rights...During those 3 days I was extrovert and spoke in a higher tone...There were times lasting only seconds that I became aggressive but was no big deal...The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was sweating the whole time which I hate so much,and I could not enjoy smoking anymore,wanted to smoke still though...so I am wondering if I had continued taking wellbutrin would these 2 side effects finally go away???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was on 150 mg of generic Wellbutrin XL for the first month starting up. The generic Wellbutrin was terrible, giving me stomach pain and headaches, as well as the feeling of it being wore off in the evening time. Switched to the brand name Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and seems to be better. And by better I just mean the side effects have gone away, the medication itself doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just went back to my GP and plain told him I feel like crap and it doesn't feel like the meds are doing anything positive. He increased the Wellbutrin XL 150 mg to twice daily, one to be taken in the morning and one at noon time. I take it along with 20 mg of generic Prozac and 50 mg of Lamictal at bedtime for those who are interested.
Oh My goodness..u take all these pills so u must be sweating like hell all day long,is that true?if so how do u cope with it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
amirblau, Wellbutrin was developped under a different name that was meant to help smokers break the habit! You should probably give up one or the other. I'd say, quit smoking. But, you have to make that choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much are you taking?

I was on Wellbutrin for about a month, and it made me SO agitated and angry all the time! I've never been like that in my life. On top of that, it caused my anxiety to get even worse! I felt so terrible and mad, so I stopped taking it. The reason I went on Wellbutrin was because I wanted to go on a medication that didn't cause weight gain, so the doc prescribed it. I stopped taking it about a month ago. Looks like I might go back on Zoloft, which did help I just didn't like the side effects.
Hi, Ally. How much Wellbutrin are you taking? Is it XL or regular? I think anything over 300 mg per day is too much. Sometimes how long it stays in your system affects you in bad ways. I used to take 300 mg XL and it made me more anxious, too! Now, I only take 100 mg and it isn't XL and that seems to be doing the trick.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts