Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels good, kind of. For the longest time, since 2nd grade maybe, I haven't been able to talk to people without nearly having a panic attack. I just assumed it was normal and I was shy.

I didn't start thinking it was anything more than that until a couple of years ago throughout high school; that's when I noticed that I was literally the only person who had nobody I wanted to talk to - those who (rarely) offered, I turned them down out of fear.

Anyway, I've been trying to make my mom think I'm normal, I act happy around her because she seems like the kind of person that would act as if I was joking and I just need to get out more and have a big laugh about it. She works with mental health patients, so I figured anything less than schizophrenia would be trivial to her. I was relieved when she actually took it seriously because I got this burden off my shoulders.

Her only issue is that if I tell a doctor, they won't do much of anything but put you on anti-depressants or some other generic kind of pill. Is this true? If so, is it necessarily a bad thing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good for you man. I can only imagine the relief that you feel. As for the pill happy doctor, idk, I wouldn't mind a little mental relief right about now. But as you probably know pills don't solve everything. After all you went to a doctor for professional help.

·
Banned
497 Posts
It feels good, kind of. For the longest time, since 2nd grade maybe, I haven't been able to talk to people without nearly having a panic attack. I just assumed it was normal and I was shy.

I didn't start thinking it was anything more than that until a couple of years ago throughout high school; that's when I noticed that I was literally the only person who had nobody I wanted to talk to - those who (rarely) offered, I turned them down out of fear.

Anyway, I've been trying to make my mom think I'm normal, I act happy around her because she seems like the kind of person that would act as if I was joking and I just need to get out more and have a big laugh about it. She works with mental health patients, so I figured anything less than schizophrenia would be trivial to her. I was relieved when she actually took it seriously because I got this burden off my shoulders.

Her only issue is that if I tell a doctor, they won't do much of anything but put you on anti-depressants or some other generic kind of pill. Is this true? If so, is it necessarily a bad thing?
congrats on opening up, its a big step towards recovery

yes its true abar the doc and yes its a bad thing. he'll either give you a pill or refere you to an inadequate physchiatrist

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Many just prescribe medication. Where I live in the UK, they mostly refer me for CBT. Medication should ideally be taken (if at all) while working on the underlying thoughts and behaviours. There are quite a few CBT workbooks to try if you are unable to have sessions with a therapist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts