Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a month ago my doc upped my welbutrin xl dosage to 450mg because of my ADD. Well i could not sleep for the life of me. It was horrible so he told me to take it down to 150mg. So here are my problems: my social anxiety is the cause of my depression, i know that for a fact. I feel that klonopin is not having the same effect it used to and i dont want to up that dose anymore. But my doctor wont do anything for my anxiety because he wants to control my depression first he says. Anyways i have been hearing alot about parnate or other MAOIS. How hard is it to get this? Also if i were to get on Parnate what would be something i could take for ADD? Thanks guys

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I am curious why you are not on something else for your ADD? Like Adderall, Concerta, etc?

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Nardil gave me ADD. Parnate may have a lesser effect on that, but I've heard from Parnate users the exact same stuff I experience from taking Nardil - it's even lead me away from wanting to try another unselective MAOI.

Have you been officially diagnosed with ADD? If so, you should have access to amazing drugs like Adderall or Dexedrine which are CNS stimulants. This class of medication is by far the best for treating ADD and ADHD. In fact, such a drug can wipe out your SA and depression, and then you can swap the Klonopin with an SSRI so anxiety can be abolished is well.

This combo should do you well.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ok so a month ago my doc upped my welbutrin xl dosage to 450mg because of my ADD. Well i could not sleep for the life of me. It was horrible so he told me to take it down to 150mg. So here are my problems: my social anxiety is the cause of my depression, i know that for a fact. I feel that klonopin is not having the same effect it used to and i dont want to up that dose anymore. But my doctor wont do anything for my anxiety because he wants to control my depression first he says. Anyways i have been hearing alot about parnate or other MAOIS. How hard is it to get this? Also if i were to get on Parnate what would be something i could take for ADD? Thanks guys
Your doctor is retarded if he prescribes Wellbutrin to people with anxiety.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Your doctor is retarded if he prescribes Wellbutrin to people with anxiety.
Agreed! Why not giving standard medication for ADD and standard medication for anxiety? It's not all that tricky and one probably won't get a novel prize for that move, but in general it will likely help the patient.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Agreed! Why not giving standard medication for ADD and standard medication for anxiety (at first)? It's not all that tricky and one probably won't get a novel prize for that move, but in general it will help the patient.
Maybe there's an ulterior motive within the American psychiatric community. Lose amphetamine, switch to NRIs and NDRIs! After all, "Kids with ADHD shouldn't be taking a dose of speed before school.":wife

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Maybe there's an ulterior motive within the American psychiatric community. Lose amphetamine, switch to NRIs and NDRIs! After all, "Kids with ADHD shouldn't be taking a dose of speed before school.":wife
Yeah, they are moving and maybe it's good so, but eventually the direction is wrong - problem is, there aren't many ways to go.

@bheslop:

If your psychiatrist diagnosed you with ADD then you could ask him for Adderall. The worst thing that can happen is that he says no. Adderall in combination with you're Klonopin and an SSRI like Lexapro would IMHO very likely improve your ADD, SA and depression.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have a question: why the hell do we not have any pure DRIs? I mean drugs with practically zero affinity for NA or SE transporters. I know they'd have abuse potential, but so do Ritalin and Adderall -- at least they wouldn't have the annoying cardiovascular effects of these stimulants.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
We had - Amineptine... it was a cool antidepressant but was withdrawn from the market because of "abuse potential". ;) A drug that could make depressive people not just less depressive or "normal", but really happy - what a horrible imagination... :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Why is it even a problem if people abuse pure dopaminergic stimulants? It's not like you'll get a heart attack/stroke from them; at most you'd go psychotic then wake up loaded with Haldol. Compared with the rage, violence and irritability of adrenergic stimulants, this is surely better.

It'll probably be a cold day in hell before people accept dopamine for what it is.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It's not about safety... it seems the FDA does not like such effective "mood brighteners". They are a very powerful organisation... end of story.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Amineptine was no wonder drug that cured all psychiatric disorders or something like that, but it is a pretty selective dopamine reuptake inhibitor, a unique TCA that we now miss.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Also, I'm considering getting an NRI such as reboxetine (Edronax) prescribed to counteract orthostatic hypotension and to negate the risk of tyramine-induced hypertensive crisis. Not to mention pure dopamine release mediated by tyramine sounds very appealing.
I don't think Edronax is available in the US.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thats not a problem for him. ;)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Thats not a problem for him. ;)
He said he wanted to get it prescribed, so I assumed he meant that he was going to ask his psychiatrist for a prescription for it. Prescriptions are unnecessary on the internet, of course :yes

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Oh, I overlooked that with the prescription. But altough MAOI + Edronax is a safe combination if used in the right order many Pdocs will not prescribe that combo, because they don't know that it's safe.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Screw reuptake inhibitors (when used solely for treating psychological disorders), unless they're similar in mechanism of action as methylphenidate.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Screw reuptake inhibitors (when used solely for treating psychological disorders), unless they're similar in mechanism of action as methylphenidate.
:clap

They seriously need to make depression an official, on-label indication for methylphenidate. It's basically like Wellbutrin with some added NA release, right?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts