Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the weird things you do because of your BDD or your general insecurity with your appearance?

-I look into mirrors or reflective surfaces as seldom as possible. If I'm walking toward a door with a reflective surface I will look down at the ground as not to see my face. If I am trying on clothes at the store I will only look at my body and carefully avoid looking at my face. When getting a hair cut I tend to look to the sides or at the reflection of what is going on behind me rather than at my face

-When I talk to people I will often try to look down at papers or my hands or something as if I am fooling around with something or am busy with something so they can't look right at me.

-I cannot under any circumstances accept that anyone could ever find me attractive in any way. I do not understand at all why my ex-gfs chose to date me or why in the world anyone who has hit on me in the past (both guys and girls- I'm straight btw) did so.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
-I look into mirrors or reflective surfaces as seldom as possible. If I'm walking toward a door with a reflective surface I will look down at the ground as not to see my face. If I am trying on clothes at the store I will only look at my body and carefully avoid looking at my face. When getting a hair cut I tend to look to the sides or at the reflection of what is going on behind me rather than at my face
Yes. I do all of that. I hate getting haircuts because it's hard not to look.

-When I talk to people I will often try to look down at papers or my hands or something as if I am fooling around with something or am busy with something so they can't look right at me.
Yes, same.

-I cannot under any circumstances accept that anyone could ever find me attractive in any way. I do not understand at all why my ex-gfs chose to date me or why in the world anyone who has hit on me in the past (both guys and girls- I'm straight btw) did so.
Never had that experience...

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are a lot of things I do b/c of BDD but the weirdest I've got to say are:

I try to make my waist smaller by doing excercises to tighten the muscles around the rib cage and wear corsets tightly around my waist or tie things tightly around my waist to hopefully slowly morph my ribs to make a smaller waist. However since it makes it hard to breath I can only do it for about an hour a day. I do this because I want my waist to hip ratio to get to the ideal ratio at least (0.7) but perferably 0.68.

I'm constantly looking up different proportion ratios online like the example above and my leg to torso ratio and facial ratios. I of course measure mine and compare them to the ideal. I take daily measurments of my waist hips and weight.

I constantly measure my facial features in pictures and compare them to other peoples in the pictures. I also perform symetry tests on some of the pictures of my face and alter my pictures to see what I'd look like without some of my flaws.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Hmm...

Well, I used to hit myself in the mirror, or fantasize about just cutting the fat out of my stomach. That was a mixture of BDD and severe depression, though. And the accompanying of an eating disorder with self-injury. Basically, BDD has turned really hostile toward me.

·
Quack
1,673 Posts

-I cannot under any circumstances accept that anyone could ever find me attractive in any way.
These!

And like another poster said before me, I don't let anyone take my picture. I have very few pictures of me from 14-years-old and up.

I also tend to shut the blinds/curtains whenever I find them open.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'm more of the compulsively looking in the mirror and/or covering up type. I wore long pants in the beach. I even wore a t-shirt while swimming. I told people I didn't want to get burned. When I was younger I used to wear 2 undershirts/underpants to make my limbs look bigger. Lucky I didn't sweat all that much. I even had one special outfit I wore underneath that I kind padded to make my legs look bigger. Man, when I think about it, I was pretty messed up even though I didn't think I was at the time. The worst part was when I was with a girl. I'd have to stop her when she was trying to go in my pants to take/push the layering off or underneath so we can get more intimate.

·
164 Posts
I am very averse to bright overhead lighting, so I turn on small/dim lamps whenever I can, and close blinds.

Spend hours getting ready every damn day. If I'm not satisfied I won't go anywhere, no matter what.

Insist on positioning myself so that my good angles are exposed to whomever I'm with. So, often that means walking on the right side, or if I'm sitting across from someone, slightly turning my head to the right. Over the years I've changed my mind a few times about which is my better side.

Constantly looking in reflective surfaces to check, but I usually only do so when I feel the lighting is safe. I've looked in cutlery, car windows, watches, glasses, etc.

Been dating my boyfriend for 4 years...he's only seen me without make-up once (that was 2 weeks ago, and I cried by myself after, even though he reacted positively). I go to bed every night wearing a mask of some sort (usually a manuka honey mask, not an actual mask) to conceal my imperfections.

Never let anyone take pictures of me. Twice in the past my boyfriend's mother insisted, but if my family does it to me I go bat**** crazy if I can't look at it first, and I usually disapprove and delete it. It's all I can think about for days when someone else has a picture of me somewhere...I've burnt so many pictures from when I was 12-14.

Spend more money than I should on products and make-up.

Weigh, measure, compare, compare, compare.

Wear pants year-round, even in the summer. Never wear sandals, always sneakers or boots. I'm very pale, and every little cut, bruise, etc. is highly visible - so, I'm incredibly insecure about my bare legs in public. I'm just neurotic about exposing my feet, even though I think they're fine.

I have a lot of issues with clothes in general, too numerous to list.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont know if i have it but i can spend a full day looking in mirrors hating myself and if i have to go out like to the store or whatever i cant stop myself from staring into anything reflective i take constant pics of myself just to check that im ok witch most of the time im not and if i think its relly bad my whole day can be ruined and il just sit at my pc staring myself in one of my mirrors the rest of the day, i spend a fortune on skincare to try and improve my tierd look and bad scars but it seems to get worse to me.

·
Still playing.
7,256 Posts
I'm not diagnosed with BDD, but I have many of the symptoms. Lately I've been holding my nose shut because I'm terrified it's expanding. I do it maybe several times every few minutes throughout the day.
I'm constantly looking up procedures and studying plastic surgery and before and after pictures.
I study photos of other women, like their measurements or facial features (like distance between eyes, distance between nose and mouth, their chins, their jawlines, their jaw length, etc), their figures, and all that, and compare theirs to mine. I study beautiful women and figure out what facial features made them so attractive, then compare it to mine, and I also study how they did their makeup and such.
I look in the mirror or reflective surfaces constantly, kind of like picking a scab. I know that I'll hate what I see, but I keep having to look.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
I'm not diagnosed with BDD, but I have many of the symptoms. Lately I've been holding my nose shut because I'm terrified it's expanding. I do it maybe several times every few minutes throughout the day.
I'm constantly looking up procedures and studying plastic surgery and before and after pictures.
I study photos of other women, like their measurements or facial features (like distance between eyes, distance between nose and mouth, their chins, their jawlines, their jaw length, etc), their figures, and all that, and compare theirs to mine. I study beautiful women and figure out what facial features made them so attractive, then compare it to mine, and I also study how they did their makeup and such.
I look in the mirror or reflective surfaces constantly, kind of like picking a scab. I know that I'll hate what I see, but I keep having to look.
You can't just take a set of facial measurements, assume that's what looks "good", and try to compare yourself to that standard. Look at these two pictures below. They have ridiculously different faces and measurements and yet both are considered "attractive".

If you look someone's face enough it's easy to start thinking it's weird. All faces are strange if you think about it. Besides, as a guy, when I look at picture 2 the thing I dwell on isn't Ricci's weird face. It's the peekaboo going on with that white tank-top. :blush

·
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!
11,237 Posts
im not diagnosed with it BDD either,,,,

-I wont wear T-shirts since I was about 9.....due to inferority about arms
- never in a million years be able to wear shorts etc.... for same reason
- washing face slightly excessively
-avoiding mirrors / reflective surfaces anywhere apart from inside home
- will avoid trying to get picture taken, and will try to refuse to look at ones just taken.
- will sometimes look excessively at face from different angles in bathroom mirror, (and today the reflective door on the microwave.)
- comparing / assessing my build to other people , and have looked up average body measurements for comparisons.
- now I am using powder to try to lighten the horrible dark-ish areas around my eyes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spending hours and i do mean hours staring at my fat face ,telling myself i am fugly,fiddling with my hair,covering it in hairspray to try and get it to look higher to thin out my face,buying so much make up that promises the world and it never works,i also suck my cheeks in constantly to try to thin my face,i never ever get my photo taken,although i do have one i dont mind but in it i remember that i starved myself for months to get that thin and even then i still never looked face on to the camera in a bid to hide my fat face and avoiding shiny or mirrored surfaces so i dont have to look at myself oh and btw,i am an identical twin whose twin has always been pefect and pretty ,imagine that,having someone who resembles you ,but you are the ugly one,its a living hell and one i will never escape from

·
lord of smoothies
558 Posts
I'm more of the compulsively looking in the mirror and/or covering up type. I wore long pants in the beach. I even wore a t-shirt while swimming
This is me all over :/

I don't even get bad acne anymore but I'm still really insecure about being topless :|

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.