Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have weird rituals/habits before they go to sleep? For me I absolutely cannot sleep with the door open. I always feel like I'm going to open my eyes in the middle of the night and see some shadow or ghost or burglar or something outside my door. A closed door makes me feel safer. I also hate sleeping with someone in the same room. I just like the feeling of sleeping alone. I also have to have this small fan of mine on each night as a white noise device as I am sensitive when it comes to sleep any any sound can keep me up. The weirdest thing I do is I scrunch up the sides of my covers to cover my ears as an added 'cushion' to block out more noise.

All this adds up to annoying bedtimes some nights as some things don't go quite my way. Snoring may become louder through the walls than other nights and the blankets over my ears... that takes a few dozen times to get just right so I don't have to fix them anymore.

I can't be the only one who has a set way to sleep. What do you guys do?? :sus

·
Still playing.
7,256 Posts
I have a little pillow that I hold when I go to sleep, it doesn't feel the same without it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't sleep with the door open, I feel safer and if it's open I feel like someone is watching me. I used to have fan but it finally gave out. I'm a light sleeper if someone walks in the room I wake up.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
Well my mom n bro sleep in same room...yep I dnt like anybody to sleep near me..i sleep at some distance..my sis had a habbit of shrugging legs..i beat her many times for this..i want to sleep with myself alone in my single blanket...i curl up while I sleep..cover up my legs n left ear with blanket so that I dnt hear any sound....i dnt fear seeing any ghost while I open my eyes in mid of sleep,i daily have some breaks while I sleep..i sleep facing my face to the right side,i cant sleep facing left..i get horrible dreams while I sleep..i dnt get good sleep...
when I wakeup accidentally at night hrs I look around if there is anybody I often look back if somebody is there..i look at staircase too..i generally dnt fear....

·
Banned
3,831 Posts
I NEED the door closed just like you. I also still fear complete darkness and silence, so I need to have my television on in the background at really low brightness and volume to fall asleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too need the door closed otherwise I feel someone is watching me. I have to use ear plugs to block out noise. I place a sleep mask over my eyes. Then I place a small cushion between my knees which stops my legs from touching when I sleep on my sides to prevent lower back and hip pain. Finally, I place another pillow over my head to reinforce noise prevention. I also forgot to mention that I take a sleeping pill an hour before I go to bed. I used to use a fan to drain out any noise but that had to stop because it gave me a sore throat and hay-fever :(

·
Thanks for Understanding.
1,352 Posts
I perform a ritualistic rain dance before placing my self under those snuggly sheets and turning about 20 times before I finallly fall asleep.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
My son has rituals he does and he is only 13, door must be closed, 2 fans on, 6 blankets , 2 comforters and his lullaby cd playing. He has done this since he was in a bed. I always found it to be cute,lol. I guess everyone has some type of nightly ritual wether it be small or big it is part of what makes you , you so revel in it and dont sweat the small stuff. :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Oh door must be closed, all lights off and no noise - I also will not fall asleep unless I sleep on my stomach with my hands under the cold side of the pillow

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have to sleep on my back. I cannot sleep on my side unless for a short nap but even then- sleeping on my side hurts my neck. I never move around in bed, I sleep straight out like a log lol.

·
Why so serious?
738 Posts
I have to have the window open, even when it is really cold outside I will have it open, not wide open though, also I can only sleep on my sides, just can't sleep on my back or tummy for some reason.

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Funny enough I have to have the window closed!! Even when it was summer I had it closed. These days however I am willing to have it a crack open but never wide open. Again with the noise. I do not want to heighten the chance I'll hear outside noise, I need things as quiet as possible.

·
All your base.
321 Posts
I'm sorry but this is just too weird - I am EXACTLY the same way. The reason I keep the blanket held up over my ears though is because I'm terrified of bugs crawling in there. Guhhhhh D:

I also HAVE to play a card or trivia game before I pass out. It gets my mind off of things that happened during the day.

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry but this is just too weird - I am EXACTLY the same way. The reason I keep the blanket held up over my ears though is because I'm terrified of bugs crawling in there. Guhhhhh D:

I also HAVE to play a card or trivia game before I pass out. It gets my mind off of things that happened during the day.
OMG this is the coolest thing I think I have in common with someone!! I seriously thought I was the only one weird enough to bunch up my blankets to my ears each night. So weird! :D But your reason is legit- I think I have another reason to add onto it now! AH!! :afr

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to have a window open. Even in the winter so it can be very cold in the room.
I do this because otherwise I feel I may suffocate from lack of air or something.

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh! I also have to have my closet doors shut! I cannot stand an open closet when I sleep. This is just as big as a closed door. I have tons of stuffed animals on the shelf in my closet and I feel if I leave my closet exposed, they'll watch me in my sleep. They can be all cute and soft in the AM but at night, they watch me with their little beady eyes...

I'm a nutter, I know.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
I like sleeping with my blind up, at least some of the way so a little light filters in. I prefer having a bit of light, otherwise I feel like I've gone blind or something, lmao.

·
Ph.D in Stupid Ideas
163 Posts
I can only fall asleep on my right side, which is kind of a positive thing since if I want to lay down and rest my eyes for a minute I can lay on my left side and be assured I won't accidentally fall asleep :)

Also I must always have a fan blowing or the sound of a fan, and always have the blanket pulled up over my face or else I'll freak out about bugs flying into my mouth/nose... which is kind of weird but whatever :p

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One last thing, I need my blinds closed all the way. I hate seeing the light seep in, if it's night it has to be dark. I don't want any glares coming through the cracks of the blinds from lights outside. Cannot stand that.

So basically I like everything closed when it comes to sleep lol.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
One last thing, I need my blinds closed all the way. I hate seeing the light seep in, if it's night it has to be dark. I don't want any glares coming through the cracks of the blinds from lights outside. Cannot stand that.

So basically I like everything closed when it comes to sleep lol.
Hah, me too. I take it another step with blackout curtains over blackout blinds :b. I seriously live in a cave when I'm not outside! My nighttime ritual consists of not going to bed until I've seen the sunrise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts