Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lately been seriously considering taking up a martial art. After having done a bunch of reading on the different martial arts and what they offer have to offer, I find myself the most drawn to Shaolin. The style that seems to mostly be taught around here is Shaolin Kempo Karate.

I do weight lifting very frequently, and I realise you can't be a huge buff tank when practicing martial arts so as not to hamper your movements, agility and speed, but I don't want to quit doing it, so two questions.

1) What would be the ideal "balance" between mass, speed, agility and strength, if that makes sense, and
2) How useful would this particular MA be in the event of actually getting jumped? As in, is it a suitable fighting school, not just a demonstration martial art? If not, any other suggestions similar to it?

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
I actually considered this kind of thing when I was younger. I never did it, but the conclusion I came to was to take striking classes. It's based on martial arts and boxing, but it's more about technique and power of blows. I figured in a real situation knowing how to hit hard and fast would be more of an advantage in a street fight or being jumped than knowing any certain discipline. Knowing how to punch or kick properly and putting maximum force into it to knock someone out right away seems like the best option to me. It would be a huge advantage and it seems more practical then learning exotic techniques. It wouldn't require any certain physique either.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I imagine MMA having the best advantage for overall knowledge, because I'm pretty sure it focuses on a variety of techniques that could be usable in the real world if necessary.

As far as weight lifting, I imagine doing a weight where failure is at 15 reps as opposed to like, 10 or 8 reps, might be better? Just a thought. Or maybe "pyramid" training where you vary the amount of weight and reps with each set?

I would think that directly asking a sensei (sp?) would be best. Most places (in Canada, anyway) offer a free trial class, and you can find out from the people there how to change your workout regime.

Sounds like fun though, good luck! ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, been about a year at MMA gym with 6 months mostly striking and 6 months mostly BJJ. I've noticed bigger people take jitz since they get more advantage there, helps you while your learning. Striking is pretty technical and will work against your weight gain if thats your priority but either benefit from having good fitness.
Good luck, alot of MMA places have both these days.

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks for the responses! I'll just take a look around and see if I can't follow some trail classes here and there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, sort of skipped the two follow up questions. For 1. I'd look at MMA elite and listen to interviews they give on fitness/ weight cutting ect.. There's a lot of variety depending on body type, from sign posts like max holloway to 5 foot nothing 180 pound guys. generally taller/skinnier makes better strikers.

2. Jiu Jitsu, for something outside of military classes. it came from Brazil where it got popular in teaching self defence, The gracies still teach self defense for the first classes before getting to tournament fighting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts