Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ying&Yang
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk why but whenever i put on new clothes or something "nice" i tend to feel awkward. Like i feel some sort of comfort wearing my old clothes and just t shirts and jeans. Ive been trying to look a bit nicer and try to wear items in my closet i just have laying there but i lack the confidence in trying to pull them off. Does anybody else feel like this?

·
indecisive piece of ****
634 Posts
To be honest, out of my entire wardrobe... I probably only wear 20% of it. I feel like everything else only looks good by itself, without me wearing it.

Issues.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Definitely. Many things I like I won't buy because they feel too showy. But it's also true I have a lot of old clothes I won't wear because they feel too plain or worn, and I feel stunted and shut-in wearing them. It's so great wearing something in-between that makes you feel confident and that you look good!

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I love wearing new clothes, but usually ones that aren't too flashy or showy or shows a thousand different colors on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Idk why but whenever i put on new clothes or something "nice" i tend to feel awkward. Like i feel some sort of comfort wearing my old clothes and just t shirts and jeans. Ive been trying to look a bit nicer and try to wear items in my closet i just have laying there but i lack the confidence in trying to pull them off. Does anybody else feel like this?
Describes me exactly. I always get the big idea that I'm going to wear something new and nice and actually develop a "style" and end up buying all sorts of new things (I tend to buy a lot of high heels though I only wear flats). The money I waste is the worst thing. The second I put on "new" clothes or clothes that aren't a dark color I feel like I'm the center of attention or something... kinda vain I guess, I'm sure no one is looking at me, but I can't help thinking it and wanting desperately to avoid it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i feel the same about new shoes, i hate new shoes, they make my feet feel gigantic and that i am wearing clown shoes, i like getting new clothes but they almost always have to be from the mall, i don't know why i love shopping at the mall, i feel like a woman but when i am the local wal mart or target, i can't find anything i like or that i would look good in, it weird, that could save me a trip to the mall which is far away from my house.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I usually get confidence from wearing new clothes until I pay attention to others around me and see that maybe I am dressed differently to most people. This makes me feel insecure and like people might be laughing at me or thinking I try too hard.

Sometimes if i'm feeling especially anxious, I can change my outfit several times or take hours to find something to wear before leaving the house.

I think it's because clothes are often seen as an expression or statement made by the person wearing them which, for obvious reasons, is an idea that probably doesn't allow a lot of SA people to feel too confident about what to wear in public.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I know what you mean. If I wear something that I deem to be even just a little "fancy" then I feel pretentious, like an overdressed slob. If I wear my usual casual clothes than I feel like a plain old slob.
It's a self-esteem issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a few new outfits today, and it has made me feel more socially attractive and confident. I really do feel that I look like a somewhat different person in these clothes.

I felt like a total **** looking around the clothes though and it nearly put me off doing it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, you're probably just afraid of getting attention or having people notice you more. or maybe you're afraid people will think "why is she wearing that? she looks ridiculous!" it's easy to hide behind jeans and a t-shirt, but then you don't get to express yourself as much! trust me, i feel the same way a lot of the time. coincidentally just yesterday i made the decision to wear this new dress i bought with some crazy lacy tights that i've owned forever and never wore. all i was doing was going to class and felt awkwardly overdressed. as i got on campus i kept thinking "why the heck didn't i just wear some jeans??" but then people kept complimenting me on the outfit and it definitely made me feel good! don't be afraid to express yourself through your clothes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts