Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Neither Enemy Nor Friend
412 Posts
I get that alot from my mom's boyfriend.. (God knows I can't stand that man).

I don't get that a whole lot but when I do, it annoys me. I just figure nobody needs to know what I do with my life. As long as I'm at whatever event I'm at. That matters..

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Yeah I know the feeling. It happens to me everytime I push myself out there. It's like what is the purpose of their comment? I literally could have gone a lifetime without ever hearing them say that and have been perfectly content. It's kind of rude for people to say that actually. It's like yes here I am, point it out to the world, alert the media, I've left the building.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I hate when people make comments like that. I know they're just joking around and mean no offense, but it's like "do you have to remind me? We're all aware I'm shy, just get over it."

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, I don't get out much and my family makes jokes like that about me all the time. I really, really hate it.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I don't get that, but when I do want to go out, my family always have to ask why I'm going out because they think it's so unusual of me and I must be upto something :sus

·
Registered
130 Posts
Birthday and holiday wish from my relatives goes: I wish you this and that, blabla... and finally to go out and socialize more often. I can only smile and say er, thanks, but I cry and i scream in myself. I mean that's like my existential problem how can they joke about it like that? I would feel the same if they said : i wish you not to die the next year. Or maybe i would prefer that :roll

·
Registered
246 Posts
whenever someone makes a joke or comment like that it really bothers me as well, and I'll always think twice before doing it again. I wish people wouldn't do that. They probably just need something to say... but they should consider how it will affect the other person's feelings sometimes.

·
Banned
850 Posts
i say fight fire with fire. trade one blunt observation for another. like say the person who made the comment has a really ****ty hair cut and finally changes it to something better say "holy **** so and so finally got his/her *** to the hair dresser. did your old hair cut ever make you look like ****! you look somewhat better now."

then if that person accuses you of being rude say WOW how do you think i feel when you say blah blah blah blah. and if that works out well you can follow up with a "holy **** i finally got so and so to snap out of his/her herd like/what will the neighbours say type thinking for a second and see things from my perspective! Yeeee Haaa!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How awkward :/ ...to their credit, they haven't got a clue the struggle and just want to see more of you and get to know you. Even if its just a quiet presence. Now that i'm older, a comment like that would be met with something sarcastic, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was "yea, i'm slowly becoming human, next week they will be starting me on solid foods."

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
Yes, people think they're allowed to say rude things when "teasing". Silent prolonged eye contact (staring them down) usually teaches them to shut up. You make me uncomfortable, I'll make you uncomfortable.

·
Registered
716 Posts
People usually think you're doing it to avoid people because you don't like them. In that sense it's still rude, but it's for a better reason.

·
gnomely
228 Posts
One thing I've experienced - which I think is similar to this - is that I'll hear someone excitedly reporting to another person, "I talked to [my name]!" And then report in detail what I said.

This most recently happened at work, when a co-worker asked me what sort of music I like. I rambled on for awhile about music with her. I overheard her a bit later, excitedly telling someone else about what I had said! :) As though it is a great triumph to extract something other than mutterings from me.

I can see the humour in this, and, in a way, I find it amusing. But then, I am in a good mood today. Normally, it irritates the hell out of me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One thing I've experienced - which I think is similar to this - is that I'll hear someone excitedly reporting to another person, "I talked to [my name]!" And then report in detail what I said.

This most recently happened at work, when a co-worker asked me what sort of music I like. I rambled on for awhile about music with her. I overheard her a bit later, excitedly telling someone else about what I had said! :) As though it is a great triumph to extract something other than mutterings from me.

I can see the humour in this, and, in a way, I find it amusing. But then, I am in a good mood today. Normally, it irritates the hell out of me.
A friend of mine is a bit like this. I actually met her about a week after finding out she existed. this was a shock to a bunch of people i knew, who said it took months before she'd go anywhere or even show her face. it was like "meeting a unicorn" they said.

take it with pride, ur a unicorn :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think at that point when someone makes a remark like that, it would be appropriate to say something like "I thought that was rude, I didn't appreciate that comment" and express your discomfort. Because that is quite an insensitive thing to make a joke out of..

edit: I don't think you should fight fire with fire. Just throw the ball back into her court.

·
gnomely
228 Posts
A friend of mine is a bit like this. I actually met her about a week after finding out she existed. this was a shock to a bunch of people i knew, who said it took months before she'd go anywhere or even show her face. it was like "meeting a unicorn" they said.

take it with pride, ur a unicorn :)
That is absolutely lovely, thank you! It brightened my day. :) I hope that you tell your friend, also, that she is a unicorn!

The two people who are closest to me, actually will tell me (independently of each other) that they think I might not exist (that they're imagining me), because they never see me interact with anyone else. That can be a bit disorientating, and make me question my existence, myself! The unicorn perspective, I like that better. ;) Thank you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts