Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with irrational fears. I don't know why.

Basically, whenever I'm doing something completely normal (walking around the kitchen, getting the mail), I start thinking of the weirdest, scariest or goriest situations. For the two examples, say the kitchen, I would imagine I'm walking with a knife, I trip over myself and land on the knife and stab myself. Maybe I'm getting the mail (which is close to the road), I stumble into the street, get hit by traffic.

It can get really gory at times. It doesn't affect my life at all, surprisingly since I still do all of these things with no problem. I just... hesitate a little more. This kind of paranoia also applies to social situations. I mean, that doesn't end in me dying, but it usually ends with me wanting to. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I get similar, it's a form of ocd when you get intrusive thoughts. I get stuff like images of me shooting someone when i'm shooting my shotgun, and when i have a knife that i stab someone. It's pretty upsetting when it happens especially as the images involve me harming my loved ones.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I have similar negative thoughts when I'm driving. I'm always fearful that I'll get in a really bad car accident, and I end up dead or I end up killing someone else.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That happens to me when I drive too - I'll be driving along and suddenly I'll have these visions of me coming up too quickly on another car and being unable to stop in time. I've had a couple of scary close calls in the past year so it could just be me reliving those moments.

It occurs to me every time I get behind the wheel how close I really am to instant death. One flick of the wrist, one wrong swerve over the yellow line, and just like that your whole life is over. I guess such thoughts keep me alert on the road, but it is not pleasant. Not surprisingly, when thinking about upcoming social situations I also tend to imagine the worst possible thing happening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts