Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have depression what is your opinion to your depression (each person is different):

1. Do you think that the emotions you are experiencing are NOT normal given the circumstances you've got?
OR
2. Do you think that the emotions you are experiencing are normal given the circumstances you've got, and that the circumstances are not normal?

I would say that mine would be the second case. The second case is like you've got your hand on a hot stove. You don't say damn why do i feel so much pain with my hand on the stove. You say i shouldn't have my hand on the stove because i feel pain.

Basically the answer to the above is whether the main problem you have is internal or external. You could ask yourself - if a "normal" person was in my situation how would they feel? The same or better?

Second question (i've modified my post since the original): What do you focus on to get rid of your depression:
1. Internal? (e.g. meds, controlling thoughts)
2. External?

I would say that even though i believe my depression is related to external things i've been trying to overcome it by changing the internal as it much harder to change the external. (In fact the only technique i know to change the external is goal setting, but i've had limited success with that. )

What are your opinions on your own depression?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My depression is mostly a result of external conflicts because of living with people that get me down. Internal conflicts too, i can be really irrational about myself and say really negative things about myself when i'm a super depressed mode. I cannot change the external things any time soon, so i just have to try and cope with it, i'm very affected by outer circumstances, so i would say i would be happiest in personal freedom, definetly would help me. Internally, i'm really not that bad for the most part, i'm pretty well balanced from a good lifestyle, but i often just work on my thinking and behavior.

·
840 Posts
Do you think that the emotions you are experiencing are normal given the circumstances you've got, and that the circumstances are not normal?
Yes, definitely.

I think I'm handling my situation very well. The vast majority people could never live the way I've had to live. They probably would have gone crazy or killed themselves long ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think this is another chicken/egg thing. I have depression due to imbalances, so they speculate. Bi-polar disorder and major depression is very prominent throughout my family.
Now, I don't have it as bad as some of my family, but my life was definately effected by growing up in a house like that. Is my current anxiety/depressive tendency due to family or circumstance/ internal or external? How does one delineate?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It goes both ways like wrennie says. Just remember depressed people are more likely to blame themselves for their problems. They usually see things as worse than they really are. Ive learned dealing with depression for 7 years on and off, i cant trust my feelings. I can feel fine one day and then the next i feel terrible, but for what? Nothings changed in that day.

Feeling depressed is always irrational regardless of your circumstances because theres nothing to be gained from it. So its not really about whether you deserve to feel depressed or not, that doesnt even make sense, of course everyone should be happy and deal with things the best they can. Haha, thats a ridiculous statement but maybe you get my drift.

Yes, i agree, psychologists sometimes dont place enough importance on whats going on in your life. Theyre sometimes too eager to diagnose and prescribe without looking carefully at what needs arent being fulfilled in your life. In some cases a simple change in lifestyle might cure the depression. In many cases it wont.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for feeling depressed yes it is irrational, but i believe that negative emotion is hard-wired into us in response to certain circumstances. I believe from an evolutionary perspective, feeling bad in certain circumstances was necessary to tell you that something was wrong on the outside. E.g. You might feel bad if you lost ranking in the hierarchy or you were threatened by an enemy.

Take my hand on the hot stove anaolgy again - if you feel pain when your hand is on a hot stove this is an extremely useful thing as it makes you take your hand away from the stove so you don't damage your body. But what if your hand was strapped to that hot stove and you couldn't change anything? In this case the pain is useless and serves no purpose as you can't change anything.

You see your brain wouldn't know if you could take your hand away from the stove or not. If it knew that you couldn't take your hand away then "rationally" you shouldn't feel pain as it would be useless. But the pain you would feel is a reaction even though "irrational".

This is depression from my perspective. It is a response to something external. But i don't think this is the case for everyone.

When you stated that you feel bad one day and feel good the next without anything changing externally, that is different to me. My moods do change but i can almost predict them with regards to what is going to happen externally.

That was what i tried to ask in my original post - is your depression because of something internal - e.g. you think too negatively or feel bad for no reason or feel bad unpredictably, or is it something external - e.g. your thoughts and emotions are "normal" but you just have a crap life? On a lighter note :) , how funny would it be if doctors actually took that perspective.

DOCTOR: Sorry but i can only treat you if you have a mental disorder
PATIENT: But i've been suffering from severe depression for the past 5 years!
DOCTOR: Yes but you don't have a mental disorder. You just have a crap life! :lol

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I have major endogenous depression. It is a neurological disorder in my case, and it won't ever completely go away, although as always its power over me is intertwined with my life circumstances. There is a higher than 50% chance that I am actually a bipolar in embryo, because it runs in my family, and bipolar is def. neurological.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Depression is a neurological disorder for me we as well. Even when my life is in order I still feel down, and I know there are people who don't have much going for them, but they aren't depressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts