Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone feels the same as me.
Recently, I turned 20. I feel like I wasted a good chunk of my teenage years on my ocd and social anxiety disorder. I was always uneasy around other people my age; afraid they wouldn't like me, would make fun of me, etcetera. I didn't "live it up" like other teens. That's something I deeply regret. Something incredibly stupid in me always seemed to believe I'd have opportunities like that for forever, but now I just feel ancient, deflated, and miserable.
Is there anyone here who had similar issues?

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Probably everyone here has similar issues.

Welcome to SAS. You're not alone. =)

·
INFJ
273 Posts
I turned twenty a week ago and I feel the same way. I think it's destructive to dwell on it; we are still relatively young but life is short, so let's make the best of the present.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I didn't "live it up" like other teens. That's something I deeply regret. Something incredibly stupid in me always seemed to believe I'd have opportunities like that for forever, but now I just feel ancient, deflated, and miserable.
Is there anyone here who had similar issues?
Life's too short for regret. You did the best you could at the time. I "lived it up" too much and got into a lot of trouble in high school that made life much harder than it needed to be. You are still very young and if you dwell on the past you will waste your present and your future. Opportunities are around every day.

·
Registered
871 Posts
try being 26 and feeling like you wasted ur teen years and early twenties, college years. if you're still going to college, i recommend you do everything in ur power to get help so you dont waste ur college years too like i did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks a lot for all of your replies, especially 49erJT. You put things into perspective very nicely. That made me feel a bit better. :)
It didn't all go to waste, I guess. It's just scary how fast time goes by. I'll try not to dwell, though.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
You'll feel so much worse when you're 25 and haven't lived it up. I find myself wishing I could go back to when I was 20 to relive things. I'm planning on going back to college now and I think I'm going to try and live it up a bit. I don't want to be thirty thinking the same thing. Sh-t needs to change now.
^This. Do what you can now, no matter how much it scares you. Fear is temporary, regret often isn't. You carry some of that weight already, the last thing you need is to add to it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
and I almost feel you have to have those experiences in order to move on to the next ones. If you hide in your parents basement for a good amount of your youth you miss that stage and it becomes very hard if not impossible (depending on your situation) to move on to the next stage of life. Life is like a video game in the sense that you can't get to a higher level until you complete the one below it. That's sort of the way I see it. There are of course ways to get to that higher level but we've sure made it a lot harder for ourself. It's all good though. We'll figure it out and find our way.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yup, I'm also the same age as you and feel the same. I dug myself up into a deep hole during all those years. I have made very little progress as a person. I was very careless in the past. I thought things were going to sort out somehow. Thanks to all the feel-happy, mental masturbation, be satisfied with yourself, love yourself, and be yourself crap. :stu

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
Another way to look at it is your best days are ahead of you.

It's all water under the bridge. It will be that much easier for things to be better now vs. then while many people have the opposite problem.

·
Mmm Coffee
102 Posts
and I almost feel you have to have those experiences in order to move on to the next ones. If you hide in your parents basement for a good amount of your youth you miss that stage and it becomes very hard if not impossible (depending on your situation) to move on to the next stage of life. Life is like a video game in the sense that you can't get to a higher level until you complete the one below it. That's sort of the way I see it. There are of course ways to get to that higher level but we've sure made it a lot harder for ourself. It's all good though. We'll figure it out and find our way.
I seriously love this post!

You have a great way with words, and you make SO much sense!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah this true. I'm 28 now feel like I missed out on a lot in my younger years. Sometimes I feel like I only started to normalize socially around the age of 25, but often I still feel years behind everyone else. I've decided the only real cure for it is to go out and try and have the experiences you missed out on now. It's better to be experiencing things 7 years late than 20 years late.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm 18 and I feel like I wasted most of my teen years. :( However, when I forced myself to hang out with people more, I really did start enjoying myself, and so my fave teen years are definately 17 and 18 so far! Talking a lot more, hanging out more.. finally feel like at least partially human, lol.

Just have a little courage to hang out from time to time. A little at first, and then you'll start to want to do it more and more. It's a slow process, but very effective. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
yea this is basically describing abraham maslows hierachy of needs pyramid. it's very hard or nearly impossible to move on to the next stage of needs without having accomplished the needs below it. in the meanwhile, we'll be stuck trying to achieve the "need to belong" stage all our life, unless we do something about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.