Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i'm freaking out just a little bit now... you see, i'm going to the Washington leadership confrence for ffa in a matter of days. i was perfectly ok with it just a couple of hours ago... but that was before i was notified that i was going to be rooming with three girls i've never met before from different states... which means i won't have my best friend around as a "safety net"... i figured i'd be just fine as long as i got to room with her, but i don't know if i can handle this... let alone sleep in the same room as these strangers... its looking like i'm going to have to share a bed with one since its 4 to a room with 2 beds(which makes it worse because i can't stand people being close to me or touching me)... agh, its going to be a long week, but i have no idea how to deal with this... i really really really need some advice right now, guys... i'll be leaving in a couple of days :afr . please, please help

·
Banned
501 Posts
ok, so i'm freaking out just a little bit now... you see, i'm going to the Washington leadership confrence for ffa in a matter of days. i was perfectly ok with it just a couple of hours ago... but that was before i was notified that i was going to be rooming with three girls i've never met before from different states... which means i won't have my best friend around as a "safety net"... i figured i'd be just fine as long as i got to room with her, but i don't know if i can handle this... let alone sleep in the same room as these strangers... its looking like i'm going to have to share a bed with one since its 4 to a room with 2 beds(which makes it worse because i can't stand people being close to me or touching me)... agh, its going to be a long week, but i have no idea how to deal with this... i really really really need some advice right now, guys... i'll be leaving in a couple of days :afr . please, please help
So you believe you can't cope with the anxiety of rooming with those three girls and without your friend's companionship?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.... i kind of depend on her to be my "rock" in social situations... i just feel better having her around

·
Banned
501 Posts
Let me be sure. So the issue is more about the fear of feeling anxiety than about being without your friend while rooming with those girls right?

If that's the case, what do you fear will happen if you feel anxiety?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, if i was rooming by myself, i'd feel fine, but with them there, i'll be really panic'd...

i don't really know... i guess i fear just not being able to handle it anymore and just leaving... not being "strong enough" to work through it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wait a second... its not the fear of anxiety, its the fear of the actual happening... me actually having to room with strangers

·
Banned
501 Posts
yeah, if i was rooming by myself, i'd feel fine, but with them there, i'll be really panic'd...

i don't really know... i guess i fear just not being able to handle it anymore and just leaving... not being "strong enough" to work through it...
wait a second... its not the fear of anxiety, its the fear of the actual happening... me actually having to room with strangers
Oh ok. So you fear that your panicky feelings will lead you to quit the whole thing?

What do you think would happen if you remain with them despite feeling very anxious?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah... even though i'll be over 1000 miles from home... i'm not sure what i'd do to quit, but i've been known to back out of stuff that seems "uncertain"

i don't know... i just kinda have a fear of people in general... fear that they'll try to kill me... hurting me in some way... and fear of mockery... gosh, sleeping around them... thats when your most vulnerable... i don't think i'll be sleeping much, except on the bus to and from are destinations...

so, in reality, if i were to pull myself together with all i got, what would happen would probably just be me being freaked out for a week, and with little amounts of sleep

·
Banned
501 Posts
Hmm, I suspect this is very complicated because I bet this will involve a lot of subtle avoidance/safety behaviors along with some beliefs and assumptions that you are both aware and unaware of.

I would suggest to try behavioral experiments, which is a very powerful technique of dealing with social anxiety disorder. I'm using it myself and it has been very helpful! Keep in mind that you will experience anxiety while using the technique but you will be putting your beliefs and assumptions into the test to see if they are true.

You can also check the other two links on how to reduce anticipatory anxiety in my signature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, thanks man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts