Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Social Anxiety Support Group is held the first Saturday of every month at the Chevy Chase Pavilion's Starbucks' Court and the third Saturday at Martin Luther King Library. (see directions) The meetings (10:00-11:30am) are usually 90 minutes long with about 5 to 10 people in attendance.

The meeting begins with introductions. If you do not feel like saying anything at this point you do not have to, nor for the rest of the meeting. This will be understood, as all the regulars of the group were once new and felt the same anxieties about talking in a group of strangers. So don't talk, talk a little, or talk a lot. You will be welcome.

After introductions success stories are shared with the group. This can be something difficult that a group member has done despite his/her social anxiety, such as a job interview, giving a speech, going to a party, or just talking to someone new. A success story can be anything you've done in spite of social anxiety. It can be something as simple as saying hello to a stranger.

The rest of the meeting is usually conversations started from the success stories. Or if someone needs advice about how to deal with a life situation that social anxiety is making more difficult than need be the group will offer advice and be as helpful as they can.

So if you feel that social anxiety is a problem in your life and would like to meet others with social anxiety, you are encouraged to be a part of our group. It's a great source for support and an opportunity to make some friends.

Hope to see you there!

More Info: http://www.angelfire.com/md3/socialanxietygroup/
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 301.452.7953

·
Registered
1 Posts
SAS Help

Does this group still meet because the dates are so long ago and I don't want to go to one of the locations and it doesn't exist.

Thank you.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Oh, I would be present if I were living in that area. But I am in Ukraine. But good luck to everyone who joins. Hope it will be nice.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Where In D.C

Where in the area?

Reactions: DeafBoy36

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am one of the facilitators of the Washington, DC area support.

We still exist!

Our website is frequently updated with the new support group dates and times. We continue to meet on the first and third Saturday of every month from 10:00 am to 11:30 am.

The information in the initial post about our meeting locations is no longer correct.

We currently meet on the first Saturday of every month at the Tenley-Friendship Library in the small conference room. We still meet on the third Saturday of the month at the Martin Luther King Library in Room 221a.

For more information and current contact information, please visit our website: http://www.angelfire.com/md3/socialanxietygroup/

Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].

Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the update Laura. I will definitely make it a priority to make it to at least one of the meetings. I could really use the support/help from people like me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Learn, practice and apply specific strategies and skills to help you overcome your social anxiety and move your life forward. I offer 20-week cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) groups for social anxiety twice a year in Washington, DC. For more information: www.socialanxietyhelp.com

Larry Cohen, LICSW

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
Wow, and you people still exist too. See everyone on August, then. If there is a meeting before my graduate school program starts on August 31, then that will be awesome. I'm doing too much moving and relocating to make anything happen for July.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Hi!

On what OneLove's post implies: will there be a real meeting the third Saturday, this July?

---Many thanks from a new one :)
According to the website, there is a meeting on Saturday, July 18th.

http://www.angelfire.com/md3/socialanxietygroup/

July 4 - NO MEETING due to the holiday.
July 18 at the Martin Luther King Library, Room 221a

At the bottom of the website, it lists two contact phone numbers and an email address. It might help to call/email and confirm just in case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, this support group is very active. It meets two or three times a month. Check out their website, or join their meetup.com page.

Larry Cohen, LICSW
Social Anxiety Help . Com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts