Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
banished SPW poster
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to this girl who just became an aunt. She mentioned to me that she is the godmother.

I asked her "what does that mean, you have to take care of the baby if the parents die?"

and she gave an awkward look and said "no, its like a religious thing."

I said "oh.. Well hopefully they don't die, anyway."

she said "yeah" and then changed the subject.

was this creepy to say? I am so socially stunted I don't even know what is appropriate to say to anyone. It seemed like a good question until it left my mouth.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, that's like the primary duty of a god parent. It might be weird because people don't like to talk about death and reality. It sounds like she didn't know. The traditional role of a god parent is overseeing the child’s religious education and for caring for the child should they be orphaned.

Sometimes I think "normal" people are more socially awkward, it's seem like the "outcasts" are just more honest and straight-forward.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nothing is weird about what you asked, I've said that before and people did not find it creepy. I know people around where I live just throw around that there someones godparent and not even know what a godparent actually is.

·
banished SPW poster
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you guys really believe that or are you just telling me what I want to hear

·
Banned
4,523 Posts
It was a legitimate question. Perhaps one that made her uncomfortable but it's not like you did anything bad by asking.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You're fine. It's not weird or creepy. It sounds like she wasn't aware of the traditional purpose of godparents and got uncomfortable with the question. But that doesn't mean you did something wrong.

She probably asked someone about that right after and found out what you were talking about.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It might've sounded a little too blunt using the word "die", but over all I don't think it's anything bad.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
is what you said awful or offensive? No.

But in comparison to saying, "oh, I wasn't aware that being a godparent was a religious honor. Can you tell me more?", then yes...your response was a bit odd.

imho.

·
banished SPW poster
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you are right

·
banished SPW poster
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am a bad conversationalist and don't really listen to what people say to me, but instead just spurt out nonsense without thinking to relieve my anxiety

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think it was a bad thing to say. It sounds like this person just didn't know how to respond. You have to remember that other people also have a choice of how to respond to YOU. She could easily have laughed it off and carried on but she didn't. Awkward silences happen all the time, even between people who are good conversationalists.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Part of conversation is asking questions instead of making statements.

Consider this Stephen Covey quotation, "Seek first to understand. Then, to be understood. "

If you aren't confident in how to respond, you can always ask questions while having a conversation until you better understand and can then confidently respond.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't think it's awkward to say..
On a completely unrelated note, love the icon, just watched that episode few hours ago

·
banished SPW poster
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just hope she hadn't been thinking about this for as long as I have

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is the role of ths god parent. But yes they do a cermony in a church and maybe she doesnt know the full extent of what it means. I dont think what you said was weird

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't think it's weird at all, but I guess some people just get really uncomfortable when you bring up death. Maybe it's a touchy subject for her for some reason. Generally speaking though, I wouldn't have considered that a weird question.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I might have been a bit weirded out if someone asked me that lol..but curiousity sometimes gets the best of me as well. A lot of people really just don't like facing the possibilities of death

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I think a lot of people would find it uncomfortable for someone to mention death and many might find that sort of question slightly taboo.

Telling someone "I hope they don't die" is stating the obvious so might incur a negative reaction like "no **** sherlock" or "der!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts