Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out last night to meet some friends and a girl I like. I felt 100% fine on the way there, I was even texting her and we were making each other laugh. I get to the bar and I say hi and just stand there unable to talk to anyone. My heart rate was up a bit as I'd been running from the bus stop as I didn't want to be late. I suddenly felt really awkward and paranoid and even the girl asked what was wrong. I had this huge urge to just cry and go home. I went outside the bar and broke down. I've honestly never felt like that before and it was so unexpected.

The rest of the night was very up and down, mostly down. Depressing thoughts and too much to drink in the end. I feel fine now, although a bit embarrassed. I took 1 gram of Niacin before I left, but I don't know if that was to blame.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a panic attack. You SA seems pretty bad!
If his SA was really bad, he wouldn't have been able to even be at the bar in the first place.

Milkfox, I'm guessing you just started going into your head and regressed to some negative thoughts and began over thinking things. Maybe your mind went blank. I'm sure we've all been there before. I've had my share of these moments. One time I was in front of a class and had to share a little about myself and my mind went completely blank. I just stood there completely embarrassed with a blank look on my face until the professor had to help me. It's pretty much your typical social anxiety "attack". It doesn't seem like a panic attack to me.

I wouldn't describe it as a panic attack. Panic attacks are more like the feeling that you are completely losing control. The fear and panic is almost unbearable. If you had a panic attack, you probably wouldn't be unsure about it. You'd know.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I like Redefine's comments and agree. Ime, I can do ok a fair amount of the time and even seem sometimes to not really have much anxiety in social situations but then I'll react ridiculously poorly to a perceived slight somewhere and just get crushed in negative thoughts for awhile. I'm just really hypersensitive sometimes.

Today, for instance my sis was talking about rock climbing and I was talking about how it'd be fun to learn and she said I would need to find a partner because she was going to pair with boyfriend. I didn't realize it worked in pairs and felt really really isolated and rejected by it, and really stupid for not realizing that. I felt hopeless and inferior and even still it hurts a little. For nothing!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
At least you have her number man. I haven't managed to get that far yet with the girl I like. Although, I ended up getting trashed in front of her at a party last week. She did take care of me though(back rub and other things supposedly, I was passed out, lol) and I still flubbed it and didn't get her number. I think you are being too hard on yourself though. Even if it was a panic attack, if she cares about you, I imagine she will still be around. So get some positive thoughts going and it will all be good.

·
is trying.
714 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a normal anxiety attack, not a full-blown panic attack (those get so bad, you think you're dying).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts