Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to apologize for reference to drug usage, but I feel it is necessary to include in this story.

So anyway, I think I had a panic attack earlier. But I don't really ever have panic attacks, so I'm not exactly sure what one is like. And I did smoke some weed before that and I was in a hot shower so I was wondering if it could've been something else.

Let me start off by saying I have bad social and general anxiety regularly and the last few days have been particularly stressful, today especially. But, I almost never have panic attacks. I've had 1, maybe 2 when sober. On the other hand, I've had a few experiences similar to this when high. Also worth noting that smoking weed makes me very anxious, even worse than when sober.

Anyway here's what happened: I had just smoked a joint about 15 minutes earlier (as a side note, this was the last of my quad, all the same kind of bud, and I was fine on the rest, so it being a problem with the bud is totally out of the question.) So I hop in the shower, and shampoo up my hair, when all of a sudden blackness starts closing in around my eyes. I start to hear a loud ringing and get lightheaded. I can't breathe and feel very weak. I'm also getting very claustrophobic in the very small shower. So I open the door to get some fresh air. I start feeling a little better but it's still not enough. I get completely out and I can't even stand up, I have to sit on the floor. I sit for about 30 seconds and felt much better. I think it has passed so I get back in the shower, nope same **** happens and I get back out and run to sit on the toilet for a few minutes. I finally get up and am mostly better but I feel very weak and was shaking. The only thing is, during this time I was not feeling very intense anxiety feeling like I was going to die or whatever. I almost felt derealized. However, after I got out of the shower and was back in my room I was very tense and on edge and experiencing a higher level of anxiety than usual.

So my question, was this a panic attack? The only thing that makes me wonder is that I was better then it happened again when I got back in the shower. Also it only lasted a few minutes, and i read they last from 10-30.

·
intimacy without pain
1,192 Posts
It sounds like a panic attack, yeah. The derealization can be a component of the panic attack and it also happens to me when the discomfort is particularly bad. I feel like it's a way for my mind to check out for awhile and get some relief.

I had to stop smoking pot for the same exact things you're suffering from. :( It's a shame. I'm sorry you had to experience this.

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
I think the reason why some people on this forum are suffering from social anxiety in the first place is from smoking this demon herb called CANNABIS.

Cannabis is notorious for inducing anxiety, it stimulates cannabinoid receptors in the emotional centre of your brain.

It also inhibits serotonin and gaba. Both inhibitory neurotransmitters.

It increases the demon hormone called cortisol.

It reduces serum testosterone.

Cannabis/ marijuana has the ability to induce psychosis and even permenent schizophrenia in some predisposed invidiuals.

This demon herb is hijacking so many naive poor souls brains out their.

Stay away from this bull**** demon herb called cannabis.

Say no to cannabis.

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
It wasn't a panic attack, it was a bad trip induced by the demon herb called cannabis. You brought it on yourself, I have no sympathy for you.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
First off I want to apologize for reference to drug usage, but I feel it is necessary to include in this story.

So anyway, I think I had a panic attack earlier. But I don't really ever have panic attacks, so I'm not exactly sure what one is like. And I did smoke some weed before that and I was in a hot shower so I was wondering if it could've been something else.

Let me start off by saying I have bad social and general anxiety regularly and the last few days have been particularly stressful, today especially. But, I almost never have panic attacks. I've had 1, maybe 2 when sober. On the other hand, I've had a few experiences similar to this when high. Also worth noting that smoking weed makes me very anxious, even worse than when sober.

Anyway here's what happened: I had just smoked a joint about 15 minutes earlier (as a side note, this was the last of my quad, all the same kind of bud, and I was fine on the rest, so it being a problem with the bud is totally out of the question.) So I hop in the shower, and shampoo up my hair, when all of a sudden blackness starts closing in around my eyes. I start to hear a loud ringing and get lightheaded. I can't breathe and feel very weak. I'm also getting very claustrophobic in the very small shower. So I open the door to get some fresh air. I start feeling a little better but it's still not enough. I get completely out and I can't even stand up, I have to sit on the floor. I sit for about 30 seconds and felt much better. I think it has passed so I get back in the shower, nope same **** happens and I get back out and run to sit on the toilet for a few minutes. I finally get up and am mostly better but I feel very weak and was shaking. The only thing is, during this time I was not feeling very intense anxiety feeling like I was going to die or whatever. I almost felt derealized. However, after I got out of the shower and was back in my room I was very tense and on edge and experiencing a higher level of anxiety than usual.

So my question, was this a panic attack? The only thing that makes me wonder is that I was better then it happened again when I got back in the shower. Also it only lasted a few minutes, and i read they last from 10-30.
So, in addition to panic attacks, there's also what's called a limited symptom panic attack, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_symptom_attack which can be much shorter than a full blown panic attack and be milder, which is probably why you were able to sit and feel better and then have another shortly after.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like a panic attack, yeah. The derealization can be a component of the panic attack and it also happens to me when the discomfort is particularly bad. I feel like it's a way for my mind to check out for awhile and get some relief.
I think that's a good way to describe it. It was almost like my mind was just blank and I was blocking everything out, plus that ringing noise and I couldn't see, I was totally sensory depraved and disoriented.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the reason why some people on this forum are suffering from social anxiety in the first place is from smoking this demon herb called CANNABIS.

Cannabis is notorious for inducing anxiety
I definitely agree with you here. The rest of it, I'm not so sure, but I can say it definitely makes my problem worse. But I can also say it is not the cause of my anxiety, as I have only been smoking maybe 2 years and I've had anxiety issues as far back as I can remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts