Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever been in a serious situation where the average person would lose their cool, while you stay almost perfectly calm? Have any of you experienced delayed reactions to major events hours after they happened?

No one is hurt, and it wasn't our fault.
I don't even remember what we were talking about before the crash (sister & I, she was driving and I don't have my license). It was like the van materialized out of nowhere. We t-boned. I felt the pressure on my chest from the seat belt and the impact of the crash. Last thing I remember I was eating garlic fingers and enjoying my new footwear purchase. We were almost home. Neither one of us saw the van till we were literally crashing into it. It was dark. Then all of a sudden we're in the middle of a (non-busy) intersection. In fact, it was bare. Side streets and such. Aside from this van that f****ed up my sister's method of transportation.

My door could open just enough so that I could slip out and collect information from a witness, whose name is identical so my sister's - what are the chances?

It was extremely cold. I had no jacket. We were shaking so bad this must have ben our coldest night yet. I didn't want to stay inside that car because I couldn't leave my sister alone while someone screamed at her over something that clearly wasn't her fault. The witness was on her way to work, so I typed her information into my phone so she could drive off.

It started raining while we were waiting for the police to show. It must have been a t least a half hour - apparently they were tied up with a phone call. The whole station?! K. Whatever. Eventually one officer showed up.

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Everything is taken care of as much as it can be for now. I just feel bad for my sister she has a very demanding course and the last thing she needs is more stress. She loves her car and hopes the damage is worth repairing. Poor thing. :(

About an hour after it happened, I began to feel on-edge and my heart was in my throat. Had the crash been worse, the side of the vehicle I was sitting in would have received the bulk of the damage. I could be in the hospital right now. My sister could be, too. But throughout the whole thing I was basically fine, just absolutely frozen.

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
That is terrible, I am glad you are all alright. I have experienced delayed reactions after a serious accident but I think it was because I was in shock, lol.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yes, I'm the same way when its something really serious. It could be that you're in shock or that you're just trying to be strong...for your sister possibly? Or both :). It's just easier to get through something tough like that when you're calm than when you're freaking out. Sometimes, it just never hits me, and other times, it might be that night or a few days later.

Glad you are both okay!

·
Banned
122 Posts
Sorry for experiencing that but life is about experiencing things... though, at the end of the day, the truth is that it was someones fault (it was not clear who's fault it was).

Who's fault was it? I hope it was the other person.

Sorry to be a parent here, but she has the responsibility too to pay attention. I understand that this is after the facts, but if one was to understand the "after the facts" good enough, this would be not happening.

See... I speak from experience and have avoided many car crashes... it is one thing to drive carefully and it is another thing to avoid dumb drivers.... sorry if I offended any dumb drivers but there are a lot of them out there. Can't tell you the number of times I have avoided crashes... even though I get honked at while I am getting out of their way intelligently (WTF). For example, I am next to a car then I see the car switch to my lane and I immediately switch to the next opposite lane and I get honked at for getting in the way... lol WTF = dumb as*.... i should be the one honking at your as* lol.

Anyways, glad everything turned out well.

BTW, I've experienced a few car crashes (avoided more though) myself...

for some reason, I think you just wanted to share the experience and not hear avide :D, my bad, but there is my opinion... walks back to the cave :tiptoe

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'm the same way when its something really serious. It could be that you're in shock or that you're just trying to be strong...for your sister possibly? Or both :). It's just easier to get through something tough like that when you're calm than when you're freaking out. Sometimes, it just never hits me, and other times, it might be that night or a few days later.

Glad you are both okay!
Glad it's not just me then.
& thank you :)

I think I was taking the role of the collected one. I know how my sis gets, I guess. it's just I'm not like that, ever. it was weird. :stu

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
:eek! Wow, so glad you're alright! I drove my parents car into a ditch once, when I didn't have my license...man, that sucked. The situation really didn't sink in until much later.
I hope you handle the next few days alright...same with your sister. She needs to drive again, a.s.a.p.

And good thinking, getting a witness...I would have been too out of it to even think of that...

·
Registered
406 Posts
First off, I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

Second, yes, I can definitely relate to the whole freezing up/non-reaction thing in response to something major like that. There's been a few instances in my life when that's happened (one of those times was during a car crash for me as well).

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
I think being calm during that situation is impressive. incredible that you weren't harmed.
I would be really shaken after the rush of adrenaline. woah.

sometimes i don't know how i react in sudden situations usually i don't get jumpy either but i feel some kind of weird rush.

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:eek! Wow, so glad you're alright! I drove my parents car into a ditch once, when I didn't have my license...man, that sucked. The situation really didn't sink in until much later.
I hope you handle the next few days alright...same with your sister. She needs to drive again, a.s.a.p.

And good thinking, getting a witness...I would have been too out of it to even think of that...
I think I remember that story actually. Crazy! I'm fine. I'm sore, but it's only from shivering so much. I had legit never been that cold in my life. I guess it's different in the winter because you always have on layers and everything is covered. She got a rental car (truck xD) for the time being. Well the woman came right up to us to tell us what happened to her - she had just been cut off by the same vehicle or something - and she was really brave. Got right in the other driver's face and told her what she did. I was waiting for fists to fly. D=

First off, I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

Second, yes, I can definitely relate to the whole freezing up/non-reaction thing in response to something major like that. There's been a few instances in my life when that's happened (one of those times was during a car crash for me as well).
We're glad too. The siutaiton sucked but we were lucky. If there were injuries involved I probably would have freaked out. One of those 'who do you call first' situations.
I think being calm during that situation is impressive. incredible that you weren't harmed.
I would be really shaken after the rush of adrenaline. woah.

sometimes i don't know how i react in sudden situations usually i don't get jumpy either but i feel some kind of weird rush.
I'm still surprised it wasn't worse, because it could have so easily have been. I think maybe I was too cold to be scared - seriously. And again with the injuries thing. That stuff freaks me out, but where everyone walked our of their vehicles intact I felt like the situation was going to be okay.

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't even mention the grand finale xD.

Cop comes over to our parents' vehicle where we're all sitting (in warmth finally), and tells us that everyone in the other vehicle has a criminal record & drugs were found in their van.

:D

The cop didn't even need my information from the witness.

:boogie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts