Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When im out i really try and act confident but its just when i walk i come across so awkward. Lyk when passing people on the street i just look so obviously embarressd. I dunno how im supposed to overcome that!!!
Does anyone else hav that happen to them aswell? Aaaaanyone?

·
Got nothin to loseeee but
58 Posts
Walking in the opposite direction of one person or a group of people always makes me feel very anxious. I try to avoid looking at them at all and walk as normally as possible.

The effort that I put into trying to walk is what makes me think that it is probably not something that people without SA do.

Do people normally look at other people as they pass?

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I used to be really self conscious going for walks the more i did it the better it got. I have no trouble walking anymore i go all the time. One thing I hate is when you walk by two people that are laughing i always imagine they are laughing at me, i know its just my paranoia but it does really bother me.I still get a little self conscious if Im walking in the opposite direction of the traffic because then every can see me, you know?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Walking in the opposite direction of one person or a group of people always makes me feel very anxious. I try to avoid looking at them at all and walk as normally as possible.
:agree

I get the feeling people stare at me when I walk by. And I have a bad habit of daydreaming if I walk for a while or am preoccupied with something, so I worry it might show on my face. When possible I either look at my watch, adjust my ipod or try and look like I'm texting on my cell phone.

I recently found wearing sunglasses is a big help. Maybe its just me but people rarely look at me when I'm wearing them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
:agree

I get the feeling people stare at me when I walk by. And I have a bad habit of daydreaming if I walk for a while or am preoccupied with something, so I worry it might show on my face. When possible I either look at my watch, adjust my ipod or try and look like I'm texting on my cell phone.

I recently found wearing sunglasses is a big help. Maybe its just me but people rarely look at me when I'm wearing them.
Thanks, I for one will try the glasses.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I know what OP means.. that's because when you walk across people, your anxiety gets so high that your physical body freezes over.. that's why your body starts to stop moving the way it should and you start walking awkward.. happens to me all the time and people commented on that

·
6,039 Posts
Yes. I am walking very fast. It is a way of spending less time under the spot light I guess. Also I have this feeling I do not coordinate my foot steps well. Another thing, I think I am stepping on the ground in a stiff way. Putting my weight more on the heals. Sometimes if I am in a very high anxiety state I feel my legs numb.
Sunglasses are of no help for me. On the contrary. I feel like I am attracting more attention. Moreover I feel very awkward with them on. All those are making me far more anxious.

·
6,039 Posts
I know what OP means.. that's because when you walk across people, your anxiety gets so high that your physical body freezes over.. that's why your body starts to stop moving the way it should and you start walking awkward.. happens to me all the time and people commented on that
I think it's all about the adrenaline rush. When you are passing by other people, your mind starts sending the danger signal to your body, so the adrenaline is released to prepare your body for the fight or flight response. One of the results is that your muscles, including those from your legs, are contracting. When you get constant signals of danger, so too much adrenaline, your muscles will accumulate tension or simply get tired. That is probably one of the causes why your walking will suffer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts