Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly every other night or so I go on a walk. However, recently I moved and the only area I can take my walks are on a fairly busy street near my apartment. i tend to go later at night too so I don't have to deal with other people. I liked my last location better because I could walk through the subdivision and it was always deserted.

Two weeks in a row now some group of teenagers shouted crude remarks at me from their car :roll probably trying to get a response out of me..oh well, **** em...I never even make a response or act like I heard them.

Bleh...I think it's depressing though that I deliberately delay my walks and take routes to avoid other people at all costs. Not to mention just the awkwardness of walking with other cars passing by all the time. Something I once enjoyed to do is slowly turning into something I'm going to start to avoid doing.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Do you have a car or anything? Maybe it'd be easier if you drove somewhere else and took a walk. There's a lake right near my house so I'll often drive there and just walk around it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't think there's anything SA related about preferring to take walks at night. Cool air, moonlight, hopefully not many people. It's very peaceful.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I usually get someone making remarks about me when i have been out before.

I don't go out anymore, even if its just to walk to a shop or something.

No point because theres a chance i will get judged.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No point because theres a chance i will get judged.
Taking a walk is a good way to relieve stress or boredom. You don't have to care about what people say about you because it's your own personal right to take that walk.

Human beings are judgmental in nature, do not let others' shortcomings affect you! All you have to do is classify the other person as a complete and utter moron and walk right on!

·
Banned
728 Posts
Taking a walk is a good way to relieve stress or boredom. You don't have to care about what people say about you because it's your own personal right to take that walk.

Human beings are judgmental in nature, do not let others' shortcomings affect you! All you have to do is classify the other person as a complete and utter moron and walk right on!
I know, and thats what everyone i know has told me. But it doesn't help, when i get strangers of different ages, genders etc commenting on any aspect of me.

I seem to attract attention whether its positive or negative. I dont look for it at all, it seems to find me, and wont go away!

People cant stop saying things about me (commenting about the way i look etc).

·
Registered
315 Posts
You're like me then, always the centre of attention whether we like it or not... but, its up to you to make it a good thing! Sometimes not being noticed is such a bore.

I don't believe they mean you any harm at all by commenting - here in Asia people rarely give you that courtesy and talk behind your back. And I hate that so much when I can handle the random negative feedback and talk about it on the spot!

If I were you I'd simply greet them with a smile no matter what - if the comment is relevant, perhaps I might consider it for future reference, if not, I'd just file it to one corner of my mind and forget about it - no need to tell them about it.

I'm sure you are a mature and capable individual in your own right - again, you don't need to be put off by others. Heck, you get attention cos you're unique! How many can be unique these days!

·
Banned
728 Posts
You're like me then, always the centre of attention whether we like it or not... but, its up to you to make it a good thing! Sometimes not being noticed is such a bore.

I don't believe they mean you any harm at all by commenting - here in Asia people rarely give you that courtesy and talk behind your back. And I hate that so much when I can handle the random negative feedback and talk about it on the spot!

If I were you I'd simply greet them with a smile no matter what - if the comment is relevant, perhaps I might consider it for future reference, if not, I'd just file it to one corner of my mind and forget about it - no need to tell them about it.

I'm sure you are a mature and capable individual in your own right - again, you don't need to be put off by others. Heck, you get attention cos you're unique! How many can be unique these days!
I think its mostly because i am tall, and have long legs. People dont like that. Not one bit. They hate me for it. I'm not super tall though (6 foot 3). Its like the most tall "normal" height.

·
Registered
315 Posts
And I think being tall and having long legs is very attractive.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some people are not beyond showing jealousy out of it!

I'm 6ft3in and don't you think people give me the same remarks sometimes?

It's all the matter of embracing yourself - and enjoying the privilege of superior height. Give yourself that - if others mock you for that feature, honor it more and tell yourself, they're short and shouldn't judge others for their own failings!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nearly every other night or so I go on a walk. However, recently I moved and the only area I can take my walks are on a fairly busy street near my apartment. i tend to go later at night too so I don't have to deal with other people. I liked my last location better because I could walk through the subdivision and it was always deserted.

Two weeks in a row now some group of teenagers shouted crude remarks at me from their car :roll probably trying to get a response out of me..oh well, **** em...I never even make a response or act like I heard them.

Bleh...I think it's depressing though that I deliberately delay my walks and take routes to avoid other people at all costs. Not to mention just the awkwardness of walking with other cars passing by all the time. Something I once enjoyed to do is slowly turning into something I'm going to start to avoid doing.
Sorry to hear that the place where you recently moved is less conducive to taking peaceful walks. I mean - I think a taking nice walk/jog in the fresh air outdoors could be good for most people - so it sucks that there are factors that discourage this healthy habit.

I'm asking a similar question as Metallica: is there a place where you could drive a short distance and walk - a less anxiety-provoking place? Maybe there's a track at a nearby high school or something where you could go? This is where I used to go to take my walks/jogs - I'd just drive up the street to the nearby junior high and walk/jog on the track located behind the building. Some drawbacks to this were/are that I felt unsafe walking on the track alone - since the track is tucked away far from street-view (it is not within sight of passing cars or other humanity). (Maybe there are tracks where you live that aren't as isolated from view.) So I had to time my walks according to whether other people were on the track. There have been times when I would drive up to the track really wanting to get a good workout in, and it would be deserted. So I would drive back home because I didn't want to be a woman exercising alone in an obscured location. The other potential drawback is the presence of other people: but people were usually into their own workout and not necessarily looking to socialize - it was fine (and pretty typical) to carry a Walkman and walk/jog in your own little world of music.

These days, I try to walk around my neighborhood 3 or 4 times per week (I don't always hit my weekly goals) - and I understand the dreaded, awkward situations that can arise - because I feel that type of anxiety all the time. I hate when cars are approaching from the opposite direction: I always feel so awkward, anxious, and self-conscious. And what adds to the awkwardness is that the people in the cars can see you much better than you can see them (even car windows that aren't tinted have a certain "glare" that makes it hard to see inside as they pass). So often, it's hard to tell whether someone in a passing car is waving at me or not. Sometimes I catch them waving just in the nick-of-time (the instant before they pass me) & I wave back - other times I wonder if I didn't see them waving, and worry what they were thinking about me if they waved, but I didn't. Then I don't want to stare too hard into their opaque windows to try to determine if they're waving - because if they're not waving at me, they might think, "Why is this woman staring at me (and not waving)?" Then I worry if they can pick up on my discomfort or awkwardness (which often causes people to stare at you all the more). At times, it has appeared that the occupants of these cars were staring at me as they were passing. Just a flurry of anxious thoughts crosses my mind, and I'm not even walking in a high-traffic area.

And I won't even get into other issues - such as the presence of neighbors in their yards, or even neighbors walking in the street, approaching from the opposite direction. It's amazing how difficult a simple walk around my neighborhood can be - so I can empathize with you on this.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I feel for you I try to run or walk my dogs everynight and I live right next to a highschool. Seems like some a** is always yelling something at me from their car. I've never responded, I try to deal with it as my problem and remember that there will always be people like this in life and it's up to me to work on my reaction, you can't change other people. Staying home or waiting till it's later would be letting them win.

·
Banned
95 Posts

Yeah right... Taking a walk alone is really stressfull for me these days. At night it's cool. But the day time when i go to gym or to school, it's really stressful.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't deny that in your circumstance it might be stressful.. but stress is merely a perception and it all depends how you manage it. There are good things in any negative you encounter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few years ago I was having a terrible day. I was living in a confused state all of the time, as far as what meaning life has for me. I walked down the street to a park and sat alone at a roofed picnic table area. I sat and thought intensely about everything that was bothering me, talking aloud to God for direction and hope. I was more spiritual than religious but I thought I might as well pretend someone is listening. Then I noticed, to my far left at another picnic table area, there was a young kid talking to someone who was in a car. After awhile, the car drove off and the kid started walking towards me. I got nervous, but didn't leave because I thought maybe he would change directions or something. He ended up walking right up to me and starting some strange conversation about how he recognized me. It was awkward and he kept repeating, "you really look like this guy I know." In the middle of me shaking my head a fist hit the left side of my face: my first time really getting punched. He scrambled around the picnic tables and jumped in the car I saw earlier. They sped off and I was left sitting there with a numb face trying to figure out what happened. I started to cry and my first thought was, "there isn't a god." I was in the middle of praying when I was answered with that. I walked home in a daze, my steps getting heavier every moment. I got home and sat down, then went to my room and cried for more than an hour, screaming at God and asking him why. And then I realized that the only person that could hear me was myself, and I was alone.

It was the worst day of my life. And I hate when people exaggerate, so I truly mean this. Ever since then I am afraid to walk outside by myself. I feel at any moment I'm going to be rediculed and, if they feel the desire to do so, hit. Where I live there is no getting away from people, so I have no where to walk freely.

I don't want this to turn religious, I just wanted to relate what I was feeling and the irony of getting hit in the face when asking a supernatural/spiritual figure for help.

I'm not religious, so no attempts at converting.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.