Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was just Googling a recent problem I have been facing with myself and I came across this website and felt the need to register. I'm Avishek, 18. Recently I have noticed I am having difficulties to walk in public. I mean, when I'm in my home, I was normally and freely but as soon as I step outside my house, my legs get a brain of their own. It's like someone else is controlling them. I keep worrying how I'm walking and it actually screws it up. One of my friends said it looks like as if I'm catwalking. Actually she was right. My walking does look like that.

Long story short, I was overweight for weight years. However, by eating right and working out I was able to attain a perfect weight. So with that I was never to sociable. I hated going out. I also had BDD(Body Dysmorphic Disorder), where I kept worrying about my height, weight and looks. I used to look myself into the mirror and get upset. It doesn't bother me much now. Another thing I had was comparing my height with other pedestrians. Whenever someone used to walk towards me, I kept thinking I was shorter. But as he came closer I was the one who is taller. This 'problem' disappeared too.

I discovered many people with this walking problem like me at http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/anyone-else-feel-weird-when-they-walk-82646/ but I didn't feel it right to bump a four year old post. So how do I get rid of this walking problem? Well, I am in serious trouble a little help would mean a lot to me. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
one thing that helped my when i was walking was to say to myself as i take each step was ' it doesn't matter what anyone thinks im walking the way i want and its fantastic' this help a little bit to relax my nerves as i walk gives me some confidence

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still have problems with walking as well. I think I move my arms unnaturally and start freaking out about how unnatural it looks... I luckily am a girl, so I can figit with my purse and sometimes I fold my arms or mess with my arms as if I am cold when inside, in an effort to look normal. lol

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, FluffyBoo! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone. :)

I went for a walk today and it seemed to improve. I will keep that mind that I am just unique and if it doesn't go away like my other problems did, I'll just have to get used to it. It's good to realize that you are not alone dealing with some crazy problem that can't be shared with everyone. Much love. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts