Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Walking near strangers

708 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jrocket 
#1 ·
Whenever I walk by people who are just sitting/standing still, I feel like there's a spotlight on me and everyone must be looking at me because I'm the only person in motion. I start to panic and I think about how I look as I'm walking. This leads to the most mechanical, robotic walk and I start thinking, "Now would be a good time to pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time" or "It's been a minute since I scratched my nose. That looks pretty normal, right?"

Does anyone else experience this sort of thing? If so, how do you deal with it?

#3 ·
Lol, don't worry everyone's made many of the same topics xD

And yes, I know exactly how you feel! It's a horrible feeling and it's one of the main examples of social anxiety at it's finest :afr To make things worse my sisters would tell me I walk like a robot (lol) and ever since then I got MORE paranoid of the way I walked and tried to change it only to look even more fail :flush

#4 ·
I have felt this way alot before, especially in school because I'm always by myself there but it's gotten alot better.

I still feel looked at, but I don't really mind it anymore, I don't know if I just got used to it or something though.

#5 ·
i feel that way whenever i'm walking somewhere in public...it sucks. i just do what you do and try to act natural but i'm still paranoid that what i'm doing must look weird in some way. most the time i take my phone out so i have something else to concentrate on and it helps a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.