Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for those of you who are either married or planning on getting married (or just fear this in general), do you ever worry about walking down the aisle? My boyfriend/fiance and I are planning a long engagement, but when that day does come...what am I supposed to do? He has a large family (most of whom I've never met after 4 years of dating) and wants a decent sized wedding. If I can't even handle walking down the street in front of strangers who aren't even REALLY looking at me, how am I going to handle upwards of 100 people watching me walk...all at the same time?

Help. :|

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got married when I was 18.That only lasted 3 years.I had this SA problem then.I was just realizing that it had a name.I was so scared the whole time.Plus there was the fact that I wasn't sure I really wanted to marry him,but I was prego,and people from church were telling me how I was supossed too,so I did.One thing that sticks out in my head was when my dad walked me down the isle I gave him a kiss on the cheek,and it was so loud everyone one heard it.lol.So stupid,but it still bothers me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got married when I was 18.That only lasted 3 years.I had this SA problem then.I was just realizing that it had a name.I was so scared the whole time.Plus there was the fact that I wasn't sure I really wanted to marry him,but I was prego,and people from church were telling me how I was supossed too,so I did.One thing that sticks out in my head was when my dad walked me down the isle I gave him a kiss on the cheek,and it was so loud everyone one heard it.lol.So stupid,but it still bothers me.
Ahh that would haunt me for years, too, I'm sure.
I'm scared I'm going to trip. I'm not wearing heels for that reason. Plus I keep thinking about whether or not I can find a dress that fits. I know that sounds silly because I'm not all that chunky, I just have really awkward body proportions. Maybe I'll sew my own dress.

:lol it's not like I don't have the alone time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow, I had the same thought the other day at work. Of course for me, I won't be walking down the aisle, but I will be standing up there. And the worst part will be the kiss in front of all the people.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to bump this up so far, but I wasn't on for a few days and I wanted to comment on what was said.

It's not like it's his idea of a perfect wedding, but his immediate family + my immediate family + our mutual friends comes out to around 80 people. We're not really the big wedding type, but we wouldn't want to not invite our close family members because the wedding is too big. :blank

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know your relationship situation but I wanted to give you some advice that I wish someone gave me when I was your age. If this bothers you, please disregard what I'm writing and accept my apologies because I don't mean to be hurtful.

That being said, I would just caution you regarding your marriage plans. I know you said it's a long engagement but even waiting a few more years I think would still be a little too early to get married.

I think your SA will improve over time if you're not married. Getting married when you're young, having SA, and dealing with a large family of in-laws may spell disaster in the long run.

My SA got worse after moving in with my boyfriend then getting married to him. He has a very large, close-knit family and it was and is still difficult for me to form any bonds with them because of my SA. We've had many arguments over my SA because it's still difficult for my husband to comprehend this disorder. He's very outgoing and loves to meet people so I'm very strange in his eyes.

It would've been much better had I dealt with my SA baggage first before even thinking of marrying someone and inviting them into my life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sweetie, i can relate to your situation. <3 *hugs*
I TOO, can't even walk down the street without worrying about people looking at me. I also am engaged and have been for the past year, and thinking about my wedding scares me. I don't like talking to my fiance's family because, hello, the anxiety! =( I don't even like talking to MY extended family, like my aunts and uncles. It just makes me uneasy and i feel like i'm being judged and stared at. I just have a hard time doing it. So for all those people to be watching me walk down the aisle? Scary thought. Maybe meds will help. I've never been on any so i wouldn't know for sure. but i'm considering it because S.A.D. is really taking it's toll on me. Good luck to you and yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts