Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started working at a daycare as a teacher's aide in their preschool room a few weeks ago. It was a job I really wanted to take as I thought the experience would be good for learning more about the development of a child's mind through how they learn, as I aspire to go to medical school someday and am interested in pediatrics.

Since starting, I've been waking up each day nervous to go to work. Although I do get to assist with facilitating learning activities, I do in part feel like a janitor too with keeping the bathrooms and classroom clean, and helping the kids with going to the bathroom and diapering and such.

The afternoon teacher pretty much treats me like I'm an errand girl and I feel our work relationship is a work in progress. The morning teachers are friendly towards me but the afternoon teacher, I'm not always sure on where I stand with her. She's friendly towards the other teachers that are there but pretty much only speaks to me if she needs something.

It seems as if I still have a lot to learn. I seem to get chastised for something or another each day I'm there for doing something wrong. I work for 7 hours straight without a break and it can get long after a while. I plan to stick with it for the summer and will see how things are come next fall. I've otherwise had a couple of the other employees basically ask me to do their work for them and ended up avoiding it last week by letting them know of what I still needed to get done when they asked in the middle of my own cleaning routine.

Sorry about how lengthy this came to be. It helped me to write it out.

·
ShamefulMetaphors
73 Posts
Just thinking about my job gives me anxiety. My 30min drive there can be torture. Based on my own experience, it sounds like you're a good worker. So good luck. If you do anything slightly wrong, you get chastised. If a bad employee makes a mistake it's expected. Hopefully it'll get better with time and your boss and all of your coworkers will support you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thinking about my job gives me anxiety. My 30min drive there can be torture. Based on my own experience, it sounds like you're a good worker. So good luck. If you do anything slightly wrong, you get chastised. If a bad employee makes a mistake it's expected. Hopefully it'll get better with time and your boss and all of your coworkers will support you.
Thank you for your response, glad to know someone else out there understands the situation. It sucks when you get used to doing something a certain way after a while, only to eventually be told they don't like the way you are doing it.

Just this past week, I was told by my boss that they needed me to pick up the pace with getting the cleaning done at the end of the day. Some days, it does take a while in when I have to stop what I'm doing to change diapers on kids or having to monitor them while they go to the bathroom, which sometimes does take them a bit. A few of the tasks that I do are time consuming so it sucks to now have to worry about making sure the kids are taken care of and getting everything done at a faster pace, especially since I don't control when the kids are going to need something. Hoping that it all goes well.

I know things get better with your job, in turn!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I get really nervous before work, I have to just try and take my mind off what could happen during the day by listening to the radio, singing (find that also helps when general unhelpful thoughts try and get in), talking to my cat... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I get really nervous before work, I have to just try and take my mind off what could happen during the day by listening to the radio, singing (find that also helps when general unhelpful thoughts try and get in), talking to my cat... :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I especially get nervous within a couple of hours before actually leaving to go to work.

What's helped a little bit is that my hours were cut to just working afternoons until when the place I work closes. It makes so I don't have to work as much with the teacher that was giving me problems before, just a half hour of time now where I work with her rather than a few hours of the day as it was before. But at least too with the cut is it provides a legitimate excuse to other potential employers why I want to quit after being there for 2 months only.

I still get nervous though as my workplace is drama-filled. The head, overall director that goes to each location and does safety inspections and such has a huge stick up her butt, where if things don't go exactly the way she expects them to, she bites your head off. So when she comes to my location, there's always some sort of fun to be had as she and the director of my location seem to go at it in the office.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi, i made a similar post the other day about being nervous for work, i'm in a tiring stressful job in a nursing home, i get **** from my co workers and the residents, i am working 48 hours most weeks, and i got this job just to try out this field of work.

I can tell you already i do not want to work in this field.
Ugh its hard, i'm not gonna quit yet but i don't want to work here. Like now, i don't want to go to sleep even though i really should, but i don't want to shut my eyes and it be 6am and i have to get up and for work for 12 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts