Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else waiting for someone they really like to give them a sign or make a move? It sucks a lot. I just need to vent and I'm sure the people around me are sick of hearing about it.

There's a guy I work with that I have a huge crush on. He just makes me so happy when I talk to him or even see him and we get along so well. We've hung out a lot with other people and once just the two of us (I asked him to go to a movie). I have no idea where he stands because his behavior is so confusing. I feel stuck just waiting for him to let me know if he's truly interested because it would be really awkward at work if I actually tell him how I feel and he rejects me. I couldn't deal with that disappointment and still have to face him.

I try not to think about him all the time; I've gone on a couple lame dates with other guys but it's hard when I have to see him everyday. Hopefully either something will happen between us or one of us leaves. :|

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and I know I shouldn't wait around but it's tricky because of work. I thought me asking him out would be enough for things to progress but apparently not. Nothing really happened during the "date" and it basically remained platonic because I was too terrified to try anything if he wasn't going to. Soon after, I took the easy route and had a mutual friend/coworker casually mention that she "thinks" I might like him. He said he knows but wouldn't want things to be weird at work; he didn't really say whether or not he's interested and she didn't pressure him to say more since he's a really private guy.

I don't know if work is the only reason or if it's just because he doesn't like me. He's a super nerdy guy and I know he doesn't have tons of girls throwing themselves at him so I'm not sure why he would let work stand in the way of something that might have potential. The other people I talk to at work seem to think he's interested in me so I don't get it. I know he isn't super picky about girls either. Ugh...

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
". He's a super nerdy guy and I know he doesn't have tons of girls throwing themselves at him so I'm not sure why he would let work stand in the way of something that might have potential."

He is scared to make the move, probably doesnt have much experience. You can confirm this if he hangs around you a lot for no reason, but as soon as anything private comes up all of a sudden his tone changes.

I bet he wants too, but probably has never made the moves on a chick before and keeps delaying the situation. I think you already know that. Honestly just ask him out on an actual date,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, most signs point to him liking me. I know he's not totally inexperienced; he's had girlfriends but I don't know how many. Sometimes I overhear his guy friend/coworker kinda coaching him about girls though (e.g. "don't play video games the entire time at a party" or "why didn't you get that girl's number?").

I guess you're right, I need to make a real move. That's what everyone keeps telling me and I just don't want to believe it. Let's see if I can work up the courage soon. :)

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I won't go out with girls at work because of the potentially bad outcome if things don't go well. I've passed up 2 girls at work because of that. I'm more concerned about my current job than a possible girlfriend. Perhaps he feels this way?

·
Banned
438 Posts
i'm at the opposite of things because i would rather not them show me they want me... but my crystal ball says that he likes you... but it also says that he is shy...so you make the move first. it also says, never tried, never failed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't go out with girls at work because of the potentially bad outcome if things don't go well. I've passed up 2 girls at work because of that. I'm more concerned about my current job than a possible girlfriend. Perhaps he feels this way?
That's a definite possibility. The said guy friend/coworker that coaches him on girls told me that's probably the only reason.

The reason I don't mind dating a coworker is because I know I hardly ever meet people so I don't want to pass up anything if I think someone is worth it. I guess I just feel like he would feel the same because it doesn't seem like he ever goes on dates either; I know he's been single like me at least the entire time we've worked together (a little over a year).

Well, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be at a new job soon. I want to leave for this and many other reasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you. Really like this girl at my work. A lot. Wish she would make a move/give a sign, coz like you said, i couldn't deal with having to face her every day with the disappointment if she rejected me.

It does sound like this guy likes you, and if he's shy or anything like me he'll be dying for you to make a move first :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in the same situation as you. Really like this girl at my work. A lot. Wish she would make a move/give a sign, coz like you said, i couldn't deal with having to face her every day with the disappointment if she rejected me.

It does sound like this guy likes you, and if he's shy or anything like me he'll be dying for you to make a move first :)
Good luck, hopefully your situation works out in the end.

I'm still undecided about mine. I know he knows that I like him so I'm not sure being shy is his excuse. I would imagine if you're confident that someone isn't going to reject you that it would be easier to be more forthcoming. Maybe it comes back to the work issue for him...

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
I know it's tough, but there's really no other way. You have to talk to him about it. If he rejects you, at least you don't have to go crazy wondering about it anymore. In any case, I think it likely, from what you have said, he's just scared.

·
Registered
118 Posts
". He's a super nerdy guy and I know he doesn't have tons of girls throwing themselves at him so I'm not sure why he would let work stand in the way of something that might have potential."

He is scared to make the move, probably doesnt have much experience. You can confirm this if he hangs around you a lot for no reason, but as soon as anything private comes up all of a sudden his tone changes.

I bet he wants too, but probably has never made the moves on a chick before and keeps delaying the situation. I think you already know that. Honestly just ask him out on an actual date,
This guy fits my description. Knowing me, I don't like to make the first move because I'm afraid of something bad happening or ruining my chances forever. Ask him out to dinner, a movie or anything and make sure he KNOWS it's a date. That could help him be more comfortable and once he knows it's a date, he will know he can give you a welcomed kiss :)

If it's his first actual date he might not know if you want to be kissed or not.

Best of luck to you!

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Yeah, from what you say, he probably likes you. It's hard to do, and scary as hell, as many others have stated, but if he isn't making a move, you might as well do it! It comes down to staying in the dark or finding out what he thinks/feels and there being a good chance of it developing into something more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input! Everyone seems to be echoing the advice of my friends and coworkers which I guess I should have expected. I will tell him how I feel but I want to wait a little longer to see if I end up at a new job. I've been looking around since I want to leave not only for this but many other reasons. Might as well tell him after I don't have to work with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts