Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Barnes and Noble today just minding my own business looking for a book when some guy came into the same area as me. I didn't really pay attention to him, but then he started talking to me. He kept carrying on small talk asking me questions like what my name was, what school I went to, what my major was, etc. I was so awkward about everything too and was getting extremely anxious. I just kept answering whatever he said and felt like I should be like, "Oh what about you?" but felt so stupid saying that after everything he said. Plus he kept making comments like, "Oh I wouldn't expect a girl like you to be an engineering major" or other things like that.

In the end he wanted to 'keep in touch' so I stupidly told him my last name and he was a little confused. I told him it was so he could just look me up on facebook. I figured every college kid was addicted to facebook, but he said he didn't use it and I confessed that I have an account, but don't use it either. When I told him that he was acting as if I just secretly rejected him, but I quickly apologized and explained that I get the emails if someone adds me so I would have just noticed that and messaged him. Honestly, I probably would have ignored him, but I was just saying anything to get him to leave me alone.

Finally he asked me for my phone number and I just gave it to him. After he left I stood there and thought about what I had just done. Was he interested in me? Did it make me seem like I was desperate and willing to get to know him more by quickly giving him all of my information? I really had no intentions of that. Frankly, I really could care less if I never saw that boy again, but now he keeps texting me. Gosh I hope I never run into him again!

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
He was interested, it sounds like to me. He wouldn't be texting you or even talking to you in the first place, if not. Maybe he was being a little forward, though, but I'm guessing that's just how it is.
It sounds like you either weren't interested or maybe you're just too anxious, I don't know. If you don't want to talk to him anymore, I'd either just tell him that or just ignore his texts. He'll leave you alone after a bit. Could be a long bit, though. I had a guy text me for months after I started ignoring him, but he did stop, though.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Yes, it sounds like he liked you.

He'll probably text you for a while and then if he's still interested, ask you to hang out or something. That would be my guess. It'd be kindof hard to just suddenly bring it up now though, after you've given him his number. If he asks you to hang out, maybe that would be the time to say you're not really interested, I'd think.

Would you like to be friends with this guy? That might be all it ends up as if it just stays at texts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my (extermely unexperienced) opinion, he definately liked you. And if he's really bothering you now, I would agree that you should just ignore his texts.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
This is one thing I hate. When people act like they're interested in you and then they blow you off. If you're not interested then don't give the person your info. I'm not talking about you specifically, but I'm using your situation as an example. I'm mainly referring to people who know what is going on in those situations.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
I don't know if I speak for all guys when I say this, but I would much rather have a girl tell me she isn't interested in me. I know there was one girl I was interested, and I unfortunately made the mistake of throwing down the "I like you" line waaaaaaay too early because I was scared I was losing her. She flatly ignored me and to this day I still wonder why and it drives me insane. (Then again for all I know other guys may not care at all if you ignore them because they just move on to the next one?)

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He goes to a completely different college than I do so, luckily, I doubt I'll ever see him again. I wasn't interested at all, but I just panicked and started telling him how to contact me. I tend to come off as a tease because I seem too willing most of the time, which you'd think I'd learn to stop, but I always panic.

It's weird. It's not the fact that he was the opposite sex that made me nervous because I am completely comfortable around guys (I'm usually one of the few girls in most of my classes), but it was just awkward to have a complete stranger come up to you. I'm so awful at small talk. When he was talking to me I started to get incredibly nervous and by the time he left my heart was racing a mile a minute and I felt so shakey.

I feel bad that I led him on, but ugh. You'd think I learn from my mistakes because I seem to do this a lot. D:

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Yes he was interested.

Guys whom I dont know just approaching me has always freaked me out a bit.
i know! especially because i'm younger than most of them, so it has added creepiness. i just completely lose control of my brain when guys i don't know talk to me, so i end up sounding really stupid and it's obvious how nervous i am.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.