Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been self-conscious of the way my voice sounds. I plan to record my voice everyday and listen to the way I sound. I hope this will make me more comfortable with my voice. I started last night. In two weeks I'll post a topic on the Social Anxiety Friends and Connections forum asking if anyone would like to have a phone conversaton. Even if no one wants to talk, just posting the topic will be a great test for my anxiety.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i tried recording my voice onces and hated it. It made me hate my voice even more!!
The phone conversation sounds like a great idea sounds :) i'll try but dont think i could speak

·
Registered
209 Posts
Me too!!! I hate my voice.. But I think mostly everyone does..
A lot of people don't like the sound of their voice when they hear a recording of it, because it does sound different compared with how you normally hear yourself. Perhaps speaking on the phone would be a more functional approach. It's likely that you don't actually have to get used to hearing your voice recorded, so it's not really necessary as an exposure source. I think it would be better to get used to hearing your voice in functional, daily contexts. So yeah, use the phone!

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been doing the recording part of the goal. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go through with the last part, though. I'll have to see how I'm feeling at the end of the two weeks. Thanks for all of the comments :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's funny, I've been trying to do something similar. I've recorded myself speaking of things that may be suited for a journal. I do it mostly because when I speak I sometimes have difficulty properly pronouncing things due to my nerves.

Good luck with your goal. I may rile up some courage of my own and take up your offer for that phone conversation.

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Joggle :) Maybe we can try talking on the phone. I'm still not sure if I'm going to go through with the last part. Good luck with your own recordings!

Joe, unless I misunderstood, it looked like you might also be interested. I'll keep both of you in mind.

A lot of people don't like the sound of their voice when they hear a recording of it, because it does sound different compared with how you normally hear yourself. Perhaps speaking on the phone would be a more functional approach. It's likely that you don't actually have to get used to hearing your voice recorded, so it's not really necessary as an exposure source. I think it would be better to get used to hearing your voice in functional, daily contexts. So yeah, use the phone!
Yeah, phone conversations don't seem to bother me as much as recordings. I really hate the way I sound in a recording or in a video. My voice hasn't been sounding too bad in the recordings, but it sounds less adult than I would like. This is kind of funny, because I used to think my voice sounded deep in recordings but kind of on the dumb side. I'm hoping that by using recordings, I'll become more comfortable with what other people are actually hearing when I speak.

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've completed the recording part of the goal. I think it helped a little. I'll probably post the topic on friends and connections later today or tomorrow. I'm nervous about this, but I want to go through with this goal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts