Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have to talk for longer than a couple of words my anxiety will kick in and my voice shakes. I feel like its really obvious to the other person/people that I'm nervous which makes me even more embarrassed and self conscious. I don't know how to stop it happening. Its always worse on the phone, and talking to people I don't know.

Do any of you get this? If you have any advice or tips for talking and not sounding nervous I'd greatly appreciate it . :)

I was also wondering if anyone has done therapy where you work on talking in front of people or if there is anything like that out there.

·
sp chick
222 Posts
Controlling shaky voice - and support group suggestion.

yes this happens to me very much, especially when the teacher makes me read in front the class!! i hate it and it is definitely even more embarrasing when other people can see that you are nervous... i try to just keep the thought in my head that no one knows I am nervous, its all in my mind...and try to focus on the message I want to get across rather than my surroundings.... try to block em out. ( i know easier said than done) I actually found this public speaking class which i started to attend..its about $400 for 12 classes - -pretty price but i think it is worth it... it is taught by this guy Charles Di Cagno.... He makes u feel really comfortable and I was actually able to get up in front the class a few times... He works with u in small steps. at first he would make u answer some questions from ur seat, the next session he would make u stand up by ur seat and the next he would as u to go in front of the class - -it is all by choice though.. you dont have to do anything unless u are absolutely ready.... the website is speakeeezi.com. it's in ny. . best of luck :yes

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I have to talk for longer than a couple of words my anxiety will kick in and my voice shakes. I feel like its really obvious to the other person/people that I'm nervous which makes me even more embarrassed and self conscious. I don't know how to stop it happening. Its always worse on the phone, and talking to people I don't know.

Do any of you get this? If you have any advice or tips for talking and not sounding nervous I'd greatly appreciate it . :)

I was also wondering if anyone has done therapy where you work on talking in front of people or if there is anything like that out there.
I feel exactly the same, I can start off normally with a couple of words but then i panic, start to talk unclear and maybe say irrelevant things to the conversation.

I'm in on this, would like to see if someone has something to keep this from happening, because as you said, it IS obvious to the other person and I think it really makes me look/sound weird in a convo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts