Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of course probably not as potent, but I like to get off benzos later, and was wondering if anyone found anything that help? I plan to get an exercise and therapy regimen going, but like to take supplements as well. I'm thinking either one of these:
taurine
phenibut
GABA Relaxer (contains vitamin Bs, taurine, and gaba)

any recommendations or experience w/this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Phenibut helps a lot for me in short term (1-2 weeks everyday use).
Nicotinamide should help also.
Kava kava as mentioned.
Magnesium supplement.
L-dopa.
L-tyrosine.

Taurine isn't really that well documented, but it's worth a try I guess..

·
Registered
219 Posts
- Magnesium glycinate
- Taurine
- 5-HTP or Tryptophan
- Glycine
- GABA is said to not cross the BBB but some people say it works
- L-Teanine
- PharmaGABA

Maybe others.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem with niacin/niacinamide is that fairly large doses are required in order to get some relief. Hence the liver needs to make a lot of extra work.

5-HTP is much better and safer. It actually increases GABA function. It has been demonstrated that GABA needs serotonin to work properly, so if you increase your serotonin levels through 5-HTP you'll feel calmer. 5-HTP needs magnesium and vitamin B6 as cofactors. That combo (5-HTP, magnesium, vitamin B6) is very calming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
5-thp and tryptophan are excellent but like me you may need to take large doses. Take with a good quality multivitamin. Be careful taking aminos with SSRI's. Maybe best not to take both on the same day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Host1Plus promotion code for 50% discount

Hello everybody,

I have found web hosting company promotion code which would like to share for everyone.

At the moment it is working and gives 50% discount from yearly price for unlimited Maxi plan.

Host1Plus - Professional Multi-location Hosting services - Code - BHY50.
This code valid for quite short time exactly code end date unknown

Sorry for possible offtopic, but i think you will like it : )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Inositol 12 grams/day (2 teaspoons twice daily dissolved in water or juice) is very effective at calming anxiety.
Start off with half this amount for the first week, to give your body a chance to adjust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well, if you get nausea or stomache problems with SA, i read/heard that ginger helps get rid of that crap.

i know ginger might not be a supplement...but you can take em as ginger chews...lol >_>

if you want to get on the super healthy side, theres Acai berry supplements you can take every day. Super antioxidant.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
With a lot of those 'supplements', you'd probably be better off taking a benzo anyway, as at least they have a solid research base and history of safety behind them. I have heard of phenibut withdrawal -- food for thought: people used to take GHB as a supplement.

Kava can equal or even surpass benzos as an anxiolytic, but this is usually with the root. I found the doses in capsules to be paltry, and in general root is better. Alas, regular long term use often produces a rather disgusting skin condition and has been associated with other bad health effects.

Magnesium is usually a pretty smart thing to supplement, but some sources recommend ridiculous doses that go far beyond optimum magnesium levels. It may provide additional effects on mood but I don't think magnesium excess is a very clever way to treat mental illness.

Hello everybody,

I have found web hosting company promotion code which would like to share for everyone.

At the moment it is working and gives 50% discount from yearly price for unlimited Maxi plan.

**** off, thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
lol, good luck finding a supplement that rivals benzos' effects. With a lot of those 'supplements', you'd probably be better off taking a benzo anyway, as at least they have a solid research base and history of safety behind them. I have heard of phenibut withdrawal -- food for thought: people used to take GHB as a supplement.

Kava can equal or even surpass benzos as an anxiolytic, but this is usually with the root. I found the doses in capsules to be paltry, and in general root is better. Alas, regular long term use often produces a rather disgusting skin condition and has been associated with other bad health effects.

Magnesium is usually a pretty smart thing to supplement, but some sources recommend ridiculous doses that go far beyond optimum magnesium levels. It may provide additional effects on mood but I don't think magnesium excess is a very clever way to treat mental illness.
You should try PharmaGABA if you think supplements can't be as potent as benzos. I've seen reviews of users who compare 200-300mg with low doses of valium. I for one, have tried it, and I can tell you it really crosses the blood brain barrier unlike other GABA products.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Phenibut is trash, stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You should try PharmaGABA if you think supplements can't be as potent as benzos. I've seen reviews of users who compare 200-300mg with low doses of valium. I for one, have tried it, and I can tell you it really crosses the blood brain barrier unlike other GABA products.
I don't know much about PharmaGABA, but if I wanted a benzo-like effect, I'd just get a benzo. I doubt you'd avoid tolerance with these sort of products -- I don't know of a potent, specific GABAergic that can be used regularly without dependency issues (that is, without extra effort to prevent tolerance).

You're right, supplements can be as potent as benzos. I retract that comment. I guess my question is, what do you gain with GABAergic supplements (like phenibut, [Pharma]GABA) over benzos?

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
I don't know much about PharmaGABA, but if I wanted a benzo-like effect, I'd just get a benzo. I doubt you'd avoid tolerance with these sort of products -- I don't know of a potent, specific GABAergic that can be used regularly without dependency issues (that is, without extra effort to prevent tolerance).

You're right, supplements can be as potent as benzos. I retract that comment. I guess my question is, what do you gain with GABAergic supplements (like phenibut, [Pharma]GABA) over benzos?
Phenibut often causes a huge tolerance after just 1 day of use, while it also causes bad withdrawals after taking it for a long period of time. Its stupid trash and i agree if you want benzo like effects just take a benzo;).

·
Registered
137 Posts

Well, that's a simple question ... You gain the freedom of not be addicted to a Benzodiazepine. Once you become addicted to a benzo, you're in a world of sh** and it very hard to come off of them. Believe it or not, it's actually easier to get off of heroin than Klonopin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everybody,

We need a voting system like reddit.com does..

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Well, that's a simple question ... You gain the freedom of not be addicted to a Benzodiazepine. Once you become addicted to a benzo, you're in a world of sh** and it very hard to come off of them. Believe it or not, it's actually easier to get off of heroin than Klonopin.
Addiction can be avoided.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts