Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I know? I am coming from Indiana going to Canada. Anything I need to know about Canada?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
What should I know? I am coming from Indiana going to Canada. Anything I need to know about Canada?
Just remember they use the metric system.
-the speed limit on most streets is 60km/h
-the speed limit on the freeway is 100 km/h

it's hot in the summer, and there are lots of mosquitoes in the forest.

also, going topless is legal in Ontario (I don't know about the other provinces) so you'll run into some bare-chested women (not always attractive) at the beach, or at night in Toronto.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I don't know if you're heading in that direction, but stop by Niagra Falls if you can.

Canada rocks :)

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
- It's customary to take off your hat before entering an igloo.
- If you don't bother with the wandering polar bears, they won't bother you (avoid eye contact, lest you risk being eaten).
- The "roads" here are actually compacted snow, so you'll want to bring snowshoes and/or a sled (you can rent the dogs).
- Bring lots of your own food (unless, of course, you like raw seal).

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I don't know if you're heading in that direction, but stop by Niagra Falls if you can.
Don't stop by Niagara, you'll get stuck in traffic for three hours! How an innocent jaunt turns into a nightmare. When my boyfriend and I finally made it to the outskirts of St. Catharines where we were staying with some people we know, we told them our harrowing day and they said, "That's why we never go there. It's a tourist trap."

As for advice, pick up some Smarties and go to Boston's Pizza. It was like a novelty to me since I was born and raised in Boston, and never knew there was a Canadian pizza chain called Boston's. And then get some legal over-the-counter Tylenol with codeine at a pharmacy.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! Some of that stuff scared me and some of it shocked me! Bare chested ladies? How am I going to explain that to my 12 year old??? LOL I am going to Hamilton, ON. I do plan on going to Niagra Falls. I will let you all know how things go. Please keep me in your thoughts because I am kind of scared lol I have tons of Klonopin though to reduce anxiety.

·
Registered
192 Posts
also, going topless is legal in Ontario (I don't know about the other provinces) so you'll run into some bare-chested women
*runs to canada*

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
- If you don't bother with the wandering polar bears, they won't bother you (avoid eye contact, lest you risk being eaten).
- The "roads" here are actually compacted snow, so you'll want to bring snowshoes and/or a sled (you can rent the dogs).
Hahah.

Have a good voyage, Miss May!

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
Hey you forgot "bring your own toilet paper" :lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks all! Some of that stuff scared me and some of it shocked me! Bare chested ladies? How am I going to explain that to my 12 year old???
you don't need to explain anything. All you need to do is just keep his jaw from hitting the floor--and tell him not to stare. :eek:

Seriously though, this isn't the French mediterranean. Sure, it's a law, but there aren't people all over the streets "baring it all"

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Don't they put gravy on the French Fries in Canada? I can't remember what it is called something that starts with P.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
POUTINE. Cheese and gravy and fries all melded together to make some serious ohm nom nom nom.

As mentioned above, also get some ketchup flavoured potato chips. And a nanaimo bar, if they sell those in Ontario. And beaver tails! Buy a beaver tail, it's delicious. Also, find some mounties. Preferably some mounties on horses.

Niagara Falls IS a tourist trap, but you know what, it's worth it. The Canadian side has the way better view. Niagara on the Lake is a town near it that is a little less touristy and lovely to walk around.

I liked Ontario a lot when I visited it, though it's muggy as all get out. And the bugs, watch out for the bugs. Toronto is neat for shops and such if you get a chance to make a day trip there.

An advanced welcome to our frozen land of the north from a native Canadian. We're a friendly folk. Just spell neighbourhood and honour correctly, and don't mock the inukshuk and we'll get along just fine, eh?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
POUTINE. Cheese and gravy and fries all melded together to make some serious ohm nom nom nom.
Thanks. I couldn't remember. I never seen that around here which I am surprise being so close to Canada. But I know over in the Eastern UP they put gravy on the pasties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts