Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not saying be mean or arrogant to people, but what if you viewed all other people as insects and unimportant. Perhaps this could boost your self esteem because you feel above them and indifferent? I always feel inferior compared to other people, especially those that are outgoing or those that I feel have better social skills.

·
Banned
372 Posts
I don't think the solution to feeling inferior should be to distance yourself from people to protect your ego. you might miss out on what they have to offer.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The goal is to feel equal to, not less than.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I think it would yeah, make you feel less inferior but also would keep you from being social anyway because you'd still see yourself as too different to socialize with people who aren't like you.

I don't see myself as inferior but I don't automatically think I'm better than anyone. I think that I have characteristics that are rare (and that's not just me saying it - my friends and love interests have said so I think it's true) but aren't solely mine. There are people out there somewhere who have them, too, haha. There are a lot of people in the world! So yeah...I'm not inferior but I'm not a diva either. It works well for me.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
I think it would yeah, make you feel less inferior but also would keep you from being social anyway because you'd still see yourself as too different to socialize with people who aren't like you.
I honestly have a real problem with this. It's very difficult for me to find people that I feel are worth my time :sigh

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I never feel inferior to others. We're all different they can do something I can't like hold a conversation I'm sure there are many things I can do that others can't do well so it evens out, at least from the way I look at it anyway. :p

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I honestly have a real problem with this. It's very difficult for me to find people that I feel are worth my time :sigh
Well, what else do you spend your precious time doing?
I'm not saying that to be mean. :b I'm really not, haha. I'm just trying to make the point that people are valuable I guess...trying to make it easier for you to see that. Whether we wanna admit or not, we need them.

Examples of when we might need other people:
- If we drive, when our car breaks down, we need someone to help us get back home.
- If we don't drive, when we have somewhere we need to be, we need someone to drive us.
- If we get cancer, we need someone to treat us.
- If we go to a store, we need someone to tell us where things are or check us out or help us move big objects to our car.
- If we want a job, we need someone to employ us.
- If we wanna write great novels, we need someone to read them.
- If we wanna help the environment, we need other people to recycle.
- If we wanna rescue animals, we need people who will take care of them.
- If our house sets on fire, we're gonna need people to put it out.

I could probably give plenty more examples but I think that's enough, haha.

Now of course, these things don't require you to be best buddies with everyone but they do require you to socialize. At the very least, you will be forced to put time in with other people in situations before you die. Beyond that, hey, if you don't want friends you don't have to have them. But I think that when you do "waste time" on people, it can be rewarding. You might gain a friend who can help you when you need a kidney or a screwdriver. You might gain a friend who shelters you when you lose your home. I know all of these situations might seem like, "Gees, that stuff is not gonna happen to me," but life is unpredictable! And as human beings we have to depend on one another. Not everyone is trustworthy. Not everyone is dependable. Not everyone is even likable really, haha, but...we still need each other.

I hope my point came across clear.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
That's what I wanted to say. When I meet people, I often don't even try to get to know them or make them like me, because I feel like I'm "different" from them.
Of course, I couldn't befriend anyone even if I tried. But as someone else said, it's a way to protect your ego.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
Well, what else do you spend your precious time doing?
I'm not saying that to be mean. :b I'm really not, haha. I'm just trying to make the point that people are valuable I guess...trying to make it easier for you to see that. Whether we wanna admit or not, we need them.

I hope my point came across clear.
I completely understand what you're saying. The way I think about most people is wrong. I don't choose to think this way, and I know that I need to change. There have been many times in my life that someone, who I didn't care about at all, has helped me in some way.

I was just trying to let people know that it's not a good way to think.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know we are equal, but right now I view everyone is on a pedestal and above me. Perhaps I need a big boost initially so my beliefs change little by little, and then ill come down to everyone else's level.

I just went to the gym and tried this technique and I felt more confident, less self conscious, and a hot girl looked me right in the eye and I kept my gaze for a couple seconds until she looked away first. Normally i'd look down right away. I was really surprised at myself!

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I completely understand what you're saying. The way I think about most people is wrong. I don't choose to think this way, and I know that I need to change. There have been many times in my life that someone, who I didn't care about at all, has helped me in some way.

I was just trying to let people know that it's not a good way to think.
Yeah, for me things were kinda turned around. It's not that I thought other people weren't worth my time but rather I thought that I wasn't worth theirs. I thought everyone could find a richer, more talented, less sheltered friend. I always had friends because I'm a nice girl. But I still felt like I was crappy haha. It was completely irrational for me to think that way because that wasn't reality at all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your emotions!!

Have you researched Sociopathy, Read up on emotions and things you do in everyday life and compare your disorder..

http://www.ehow.com/about_5371687_types-sociopaths.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4791047_test-borderline-personality-disorder.html#ixzz2Gf58YWi2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

These are all sociopath issues. Do your own research and be honest with yourself, I am not saying this is your disorder but it is easy to search for disorder's you may have.. I honestly beleive if you educate yourself on the disorder you have and how it came to be you may can fix it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, I don't think that makes you a sociopath like the last person said. I have had a case of feeling inferior for as long as I can remember and the thing that is helping me now is saying to myself "No one matters but me. I do what I want. Ignore everyone. Their opinions are nothing. IDGAF. Just Do you. I am more important, better looking, more charismatic, etc than everyone." And I feel totally different dude. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get to the next level in life. And isn't it kinda true in a way? You should be the most important person to yourself. Ultimately, its your life and anyone else who thinks you are living it wrong isn't worth listening to. Because most of the time they are just bringing you down for being unique. In my opinion keep doing it man if it makes you feel better and you can keep eye contact, keep doing it. Good luck, I have faith that all of us can beat social anxiety. Keep pushin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you researched Sociopathy, Read up on emotions and things you do in everyday life and compare your disorder..

http://www.ehow.com/about_5371687_types-sociopaths.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4791047_test-borderline-personality-disorder.html#ixzz2Gf58YWi2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

These are all sociopath issues. Do your own research and be honest with yourself, I am not saying this is your disorder but it is easy to search for disorder's you may have.. I honestly beleive if you educate yourself on the disorder you have and how it came to be you may can fix it...
You do realize that sociopathy can not be cured? Shame and the feelings of inferiority aren't trades usually associated with sociopathy. I'm not even sure you can have SA and be a sociopath. Why would a sociopath care what others think about him and have anxiety for it?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Its actually not a bad idea depending when u use it
Like people that have hurt me or are just *******s i often try this makes it easier to cope with stuff dont care if its lying to myself as long as it diexnt make me feel im worthless. Im done with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts