Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't do it. that would really really be a bad thing. see a councelor or a priest or rabbi. murder is not the answer.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Mine came from continuous peer rejection as a kid. It amplified when I had family problems starting at age 13 - I completely withdrew feeling like no one would want to be my friend at all. That stayed with me all through the years. :afr

·
Registered
81 Posts
mental_casualty said:
do you think your disorders are a result of being abused so much as a child?
Yes, I think abuse has a lot to do with it. SA is probably some form of self defense against 'bad' people. I don't know of any friend or family member of mine that was abused and doesn't have a 'problem,' be it SA, depression or whatever. There are people in my family that have never been abused (as far as I know) and are really popular, successful and endlessly outgoing.

Abuse of any kind is a vicious cycle and it destroys everyone it touches. I believe this is very true of child abuse in all of it's forms.

/was abused by both older brothers, and feel like I can't do anything about it
//but I can give you a cyber hug. Spread love, not abuse. :squeeze

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I was tormented in school for about 8 years because of being overweight.
With both parents always at work, very distant, and having problems with showing affection, I never got the love and hugs that I needed, at home or in the outside...Little surprise that I am a hermit and emotional cripple now...When the kids at school always make fun of you because you're fat, and your mother at home says you can't go over Grandmas with your brother and sister, because you are too fat, it kind of sours you on the world, and people in general...We never get rid of those childhood memories, even decades later...But I have no one to blame for my situation now but me....As an adult, I have the opportunity to change things, but have not done so...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Emotional abuse as a child (mother's little barbed comments were not conducive to a healthy sense of self...but she was disappointed because she got an "it" instead of a "daughter", I guess). Then years of harrassment by school arseholes (students and administrators), and two totally abusive relationships, and one relationship where I was being used...yep, that no doubt played a large part in the formation of my SA and various other problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, I was a victim of childhood abuse (mainly physical, some "S.").
I also married my past and still live with it. i'm working on it. its definitely a big trigger for the s.a., because when he blows his top, I can barely function for weeks afterward. fortunately it doesn't happen as often now as it did when my children were younger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been a victim of verbal/emotional abuse by many people, my ex boyfriend especially, and for some dumb reason, we always stay in the relationship, i guess boredom. I mean, i remember this one time when we were shopping, and because he was sooooooo insecure, we were just walking by some men, and he got pissed at me, HELLO, we just walked by them!!!!!??? Also, I got pregnant, was having a miscarriage, and he was smoking weed in the other room with a friend( woman). He also held a gun to his head in front of me, just to scare me. How could a human act this way?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I do think my disorders are from being abused as a child. Constant criticism as a child has me believing everything I do is wrong, even now as an adult. Later, I was married for 20+ years to another constant criticizer.

I think I stayed in that relationship so long because I thought I was lucky to have that one. I guess I figured who else would put up with someone who couldn't do anything right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For those of you with sexual abuse backgrounds, if possible, please report it to the authorities. It rarely stops with them doing it to just one person, but they still need to be held accountable for their actions.

Also, I belong to a very good forum for survivors of all kinds of abuse, it's helped me tremendously during the last 18 months that I've been there. Please don't let the title scare you away... their major concern is for abuse victims/survivors... but it's called Christian Survivors, but there are many members who are not Christian.

I agree with JB. I attribute this to severe emotional abuse as a child, and throughout my life really. I was married for 18 years to an abusive man. I was raised with it, so I never knew until after the divorce that any of it was considered abuse.

But there has also been many sexual abuses (rapes, molestations and sexual harrassments) in my life too. The earliest memory being when I was 7 or 8.

I don't know how these things couldn't have been involved, much less caused the whole thing. It's basically about our self-image... and how it's been damaged.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes, I think my child abuse has caused some of my problems. In reference to the SA though, I'm not sure. I am paranoid sometimes, and I don't trust easily. I have suffered from depression and post traumatic stress disorder among other things. I'm currently seeing a therapist and taking medication which I have done on and off for years. Things that happen in our childhood really do effect our adulthood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts