Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so to me this is the stupidest question, and I feel as though no one else could possibly have the same problem as me. Since I am a little kid, I have had this problem, and I noticed it has gotten progressively worse. It is to the point where I want to avoid even going to work, and would love to run away and hide somewhere forever in the comforts of my own home. I am currently taking effexor, which I am also looking to up the dose this week, but I have tried calming myself down, and thinking sensibly saying to myself "it's just a fear it's not going to happen"

Here goes...:no

Any time I was among a group of friends growing up, say in a car for instance, I always felt uncomfortable when there was silence. I felt that if it was quiet and I did something embarrassing of course they would know it was me. Over time this stupid fear went away, but not too long ago, it has come back full force. A few months back a few friends and I went out to dinner. I was totally fine, and always able to just hang out and have a great time. I had a little bit of wine, which is rare...and felt a little buzz. All of a sudden it was quiet, and my two friends started to laugh. I instantly had this hot paranoid feeling come over me. I don't know what it was, but the trigger certainly was the laughter. I instantly thought they were laughing at me, and then I said to myself "did I do something embarrassing?" My initial reaction was that I had passed gas and they were laughing at me hysterically. My panic grew, I ran to the bathroom, and paced back and forth. I kept saying, there is no way it just happened. I began acting very strange I felt, and thought my friends were picking up on this. After feeling like they were "On to me" I said, I am sorry I am not feeling well I need to leave, and I did. Then a few days after I had not talked to them, and started freaking out saying "they must not like me anymore because of dinner they probly think I'm so crazy" I began searching for any type of sign from them that I was acting strange, or that I did indeed Fart....haha.I tried so hard to tell myself it was all in my head. I thought the worst was over, but it was just the beginning.

Since this horrific night, I have not been able to hear laughter without literally freaking out. I can be in the supermarket, out at dinner or just strolling through the mall with my children. I noticed my trigger is definately laughter. I know it's so silly, but I hear it, and I immediately panic. The worst of all is I cannot go to work. I panic the entire morning while getting ready, I think about how horrible it will be if a coworker hears me fart they will tell everyone. Just yesterday at work, my coworker was laughing, I freaked out, and went into a panic. I couldn't calm myself down. Then I kept saying to myself, "I wasn't paying attention did I fart and not hear it?" I know this sounds hilarious, and really stupid but this is really happening to me. I don't know what to do anymore. This is not all, I find that I cannot stand close to a coworker and explain a task to them, I feel as though they are judging me closely, and I feel like I cannot have it too quiet, I find myself looking at them constantly to see what their facial expressions are. I also think that these peole are picking up on the fact that I am "crazy" I can't live like this anymore. I am hoping the effexor increase will help me.

I have told myself over and over that it's just in my head. But now I am starting to think I am crazy, or hallucinating. My mind races in circles, and I am thinking that there is something wrong with me. This sucks. Any input here? Please don't make fun of my situation, that is all I ask.

Thank you so much.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Sorry I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that I can relate to you. Especially lately, I keep going down the street and hearing laughter or swear I can hear someone shouting something out at me, and I'll feel extremely uncomfortable and sure that someone's making fun of me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this happens to me also. It makes me feel so crazy! I feel like they are all staring at me, and laughing at me, but I know that it's not really what is happening. God it's so tough.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Try looking at it from another perspective. If u were at work or dinner and a friend/co-worker passed gas how would u react? Would u feel embarrassed for them? Would u want them to feel anxious or self conscious? Or would u laugh and not think it was a big deal? I know if a friend passed gas with me I would feel embarrassed for them and try to forget the matter as quickly as possible. So breath...u wont pass gas and even if u did, people would most likely react the way u would, feeling as bad for u as u would for them. And dont worry, increasing ur meds will probably help with the paranoia too. I know after not having taken my med 4 awhile (bad idea) I took my it today I felt less paranoid and more clear headed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at the dr this morning. They put me on Celexa and I am tapering off the effexor. I hope this helps. I know it's just an irrational phobia. No I do not have any problems of that sort. It's just a silly paranoia I have. All in all I feel it is just the possibility of complete embarrasment, and my mind sometimes just freaks out. I appreciate all the input very much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have that same thing with laughing. I see people laughing, people I don't even know, and assume they're laughing at me. I was at college orientation a couple months ago and I was walking down the hall talking a tour of a dorm..these two girls walked by laughing. They were laughing before they even saw me, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head that they were laughing at me. It kind of changed my outlook on the whole day. I can totally relate to the laughing thing- it happens to me a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.