Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just found this website today, stumbled upon it. I took the test and I have very severe social anxiety. I was fired from my job almost 3 years ago and with that having been my job for over 20 years and my age I was able to find no work. Also, I am divorced and was abused by my former husband for many years, which I blamed for my isolation. I have had some social anxiety for as long as I can remember, but I would force myself to act outgoing, although I was very clumsy and uncomfortable at it.

After I lost my job I was able to connect with some new friends basically by accident. I got a dog and was walking with him and I met a woman who lived near me. She introduced me to some people who were nice. All of the people were much younger than me. Then I ran into an older man who I had known from a class we had taken together. I got involved with him. Some of his behavior did not sit right with me but I ignored it. I won't go into his flaws, but I am now embarrassed to have been involved with him.

Then my dad died - the same year that I got fired. I became very depressed. I also started going through menopause in the months after Dad's death. I became increasingly depressed and isolated. I began watching a lot of TV programs on the internet. I also became very anxious about leaving the house at all. I have gained 50 pounds and my poor dog has even gotten fat. I am so ashamed. It has not helped that the weather has been very cold where I live in Minnesota, but that is just an excuse. I used to go out when it was cold. A couple of weeks ago one of my young friends invited me over for dinner. I cancelled about an hour prior to the invite time due to anxiety. I am very ashamed.

I promised my dog yesterday that I would take him out for a walk. I have not done it yet.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
:welHi dancesroundtheflame,
I hope you find lots of advice & support here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Dances, Welcome to SAS! You will find many helpful people here, and you may find new ways of dealing with your anxieties. I know anxiety really sucks, but it can be defeated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome and what type of dog do you have?

I'm sure he will forgive you! Just give him some extra fuss.

I have a dog too. I love animals, they love you unconditionally and are not ignorant and cruel like humans.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dog!

Welcome and what type of dog do you have?

I'm sure he will forgive you! Just give him some extra fuss.

I have a dog too. I love animals, they love you unconditionally and are not ignorant and cruel like humans.
He is a White German Shepherd. Shedding like crazy. I told my daughter I would take him out and comb his undercoat today. Have not done it yet but there is still daylight. What kind of dog have you got?

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
Hi and welcome to SAS - we have dogs too - a lab and a heeler cross. (we think)

Don't be ashamed, you'll fit in just fine around here - and come to the over 30's section, it's better. :)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, DancesRoundTheFlame! :)

It's tough to be dealing with depression and such, but there is still so much to gain. I hope that this site can help you get back on your feet!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a golden border collie. Search google for the colour, it is beautiful.

Also a huge fan of the white shepherds, I'd love one but they are a bit too big for my house. Bet he is gorgeous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts