Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was skimming through. I love this book. It's so down-to-earth and thoughtful.

I think of this compilation I made as a very short introduction to the place that the Buddha's teachings have in my struggles against anxiety and depression. I hope they are somehow useful to you too!

1. Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it.

34. As a fish hooked and left on the sand thrashes about in agony, the mind being trained in meditation trembles all over, desperate to escape the hand of Mara ["temptation" or "desire"].

38. They are not wise whose thoughts are not steady and minds not serene.

42-43. More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm. More than your mother, more than your father, more than all your family, a well-disciplined mind does greater good.

76. If you see a wise man who steers you away from the wrong path, follow him as you would one who can reveal hidden treasures. Only good can come out of it.

110-113. [My favorite!] Better to live in virtue and wisdom for one day than to live a hundred years with an evil and undisciplined mind. Better to live in goodness and wisdom for one day than to lead an ignorant and undisciplined life for a hundred years. Better to live in strength and wisdom for one day than to lead a weak and idle life for a hundred years. Better to live in freedom and widsom for one day than to lead a conditioned life of bondage for a hundred years.

146. Why is there laughter, why merriment, when this world is on fire? When you are living in darkness, why don't you look for light?

197. Let us live in joy, never hating those who hate us. Let us live in freedom, without hatred even among those who hate.

221-222. Give up anger, give up pride, and free yourself from worldly bondage. No sorrow can befall those who never try to possess people and things as their own. Those who hold back rising anger like a rolling chariot are real charioteers. Others merely hold the reins.

236. Live in the world of light.

254. There is no path in the sky; there is no refuge in the world for those driven by their desires. But the disciples of Buddha live in freedom.

258. One is not wise because he talks a good deal. They are wise who are patient, and free from hate and fear.

317. Those who fear what they ought not to fear, and do not fear what they ought to fear, follow false doctrines on the downward course.

326-327. Long ago my mind used to wander as it liked and do what it wanted. Now I can rule my mind as the mahout controls the elephant with his hooked staff. Be vigilant; guard your mind against negative thoughts. Pull yourself out of bad ways as an elephant raises itself out of the mud.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm glad you guys liked them. That makes me happy. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.