Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agomelatine (trade names Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax) is an antidepressant that is marketed for the treatment of major depressive disorder. It has been reported to have a reduced level of sexual side effects as well as discontinuation effects compared to some other antidepressants. It may also have positive effects on sleep.

Valdoxan is the first melatonergic antidepressant. Valdoxan acts as a melatonergic agonist and 5-HT2C antagonist.

Valdoxan resynchronizes circadian rhythms in animal models of circadian rhythm disruption. Valdoxan increases noradrenaline and dopamine release specifically in the frontal cortex and has no influence on the extracellular levels of serotonin.

More info:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was given a months trial of the 25mg tablets by my doctor, I found it to be a good little booster when added to Effexor, and it helped reverse it's side effects a bit, especially the sexual ones.
Sleep wise I didn't notice any change from baseline.

It's pricey at the moment, but if it ever becomes cheap I think I'd use it as an adjunctive to standard antidepressants. I don't think I'd bother taking it on it's own to treat serious depression though, it wasn't that strong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried Valdoran, 50 mg at night (recommended dose) for 3 weeks with no AD affect. It did nothing for me. It was supposed to make me sleep better but I got the reverse, heart palpitations, restless and no AD effect at all. Trials have found it no better than placebo and it is very expensive.

It might have some use for people with sleep disorders (it doesn't work on serotonin) by resetting your circadian rhythms but I can't see it being approved for depression and anxiety, the link is tenuous.

·
powder puff
1 Posts
I have been on 25mg of Valdoxan for one week, previous to this i was on Duloxetine for one Month which gave me very bad gastric problems.

I have been on various ssri's since the age of 16 (now 35) and my Pdoc decided to try me on this drug.

I had terrible withdrawals from Duloxetine which made me very anxious.

I feel not too bad on Valdoxan, definatley not got that drugged feeling ssri's give me, no side effects...... It gives me a great sleep.

I'm very keen to give this drug a good run as i'm reluctant to go back to my long term AD which is 100mg zoloft.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After stopping Lexapro, my doc prescribed Valdoxan for my sleep problems especially and depression. 1 month trial on 25mg - it did nothing to me. No effect on sleep and anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been on this but found that I had very intense dreams and nightmares which are persisting even after I stopped it. This causes me considerable concern as I wonder about the effects of interfering with a natural hormone. Also did nothing for my SA.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
i trialed this with fluvoxamine which is contraindicated and experienced a host of negative effects, so i suppose that wasn't a very fair trial at all. i'm switching from fluvoxamine to escitalopram to trial the drug again adjunctively - we'll see!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had insomnia for probably 5 years now, and I think I've finally found a combination of meds that works for insomina, anxiety and depression.

5mg of lexapro a few hours before bed (this helps with my anxiety associated with sleeping)
25mg of Valdoxan just before bed

and for energy during the day: Paradise Herbs ORAC-Energy Greens

Switching the lexapro to before bed seemed to make a big difference, prior to this I was taking Valdoxan and still not getting a good night sleep. Although I had only been taking Valdoxan for probably 5 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts