Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it's not "right" but does anyone on here do that....i am quite the light weight and for me after only one or two drinks i feel very gregarious...i always feel guilty for using it to feel more confident though

·
Registered
274 Posts
i definitely do. and it has sort of become a problem because i am somewhat dependent on it in social situations. i have trouble not drinking and having fun with people so i usually end up drinking. ive also sort of build up a tolerance so i may be a bit inebriated but ill still feel anxious. i dont see anything wrong with drinking occasionally in social situations you really just need to keep it under control

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, I definitely do sometimes. When I know I am going to be in a social setting with friends and single men, I make sure I have a shot or 2 ahead of time. When I am relaxed, I am really fun and outgoing. I make so many friends. When I am myself, I am nervous and very hesitant...people get turned off by me.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I have in the past. But the next day, I would always worry over every little thing I said or did and just hope I didn't do anything incredibly stupid. Not that I got plastered or anything like that, but talking to other people is so NOT me.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Oh yeah, all the time. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but I do need booze to be able to relax and therefore talk properly around people. If I'm meeting some new people for the first time, I have to have a fair bit to drink beforehand, otherwise I literally can't talk. With friends, I prefer to drink anyway just because I have a better time if I'm not anxious, and I'm more able to be myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definitely...like tonight-I was invited out by an acquaintance and I will have to meet all his friends and a bunch of band members he's in with--I actually looked up the place to see what their drink menu was. :\

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well I only drink during "social situation" like happy hour after work or something. I'm still reserved although I'm more likely to open my mouth and say something just to say something if I'm a bit drunk. I just don't like the feeling the day after if I drink too much. As what others have said, just know when you're about to hit your limit if you know what that is already. I've blacked out twice while trying to be more relaxed by drinking even after taking some klonopin and it's not fun.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Alcohol is meant to be a social lubricant. It's really the only intoxicant that's tolerated in our society. With that being said, I don't drink too much in public. I usually rely on a benzo to work on my SA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts