Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Querdenker
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you considered having a couple of moderators who have been elected by the users?

That is, putting a list of users whom the webmaster considers suitable forward for a vote.

It is harder to argue with someone who has been elected than with someone who has been appointed.

They would be in the minority, so it is not a user takeover.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The initial list is actually made up by Drew. The remaining moderators discuss the top candidates from the list and we narrow it down from there.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
This was discussed before if you do a search. Moderators often have to make decisions that aren't popular and I believe they should not be picked by the community.

Usually I get suggestions from existing moderators and do some searching myself. The criteria I use for picking new mods is loose, but based on length of registration, posts, posts/day, infractions, how I see them doing as a moderator, and then just their general support of other users and for the community. Ultimately, mods are picked by myself and the other moderators together, as they are being added to a team.

Members and moderators are welcome to chime in if they disagree with me here, but I am unlikely to change how I do this. I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but it's worked pretty well for over 10 years on various websites.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
^We don't make quick decisions either, guys - it's not a fast process. :lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Lol, please don't elect me. I would purge half the people on this site, probably including myself. :lol

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
That probably wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the potential electees aren't there because they're just popular.

·
Surrounded by greatness
579 Posts
What some people don't realize is that being a mod takes more effort and time than most people ultimately want to invest. I had a behind the scenes look at a vBulletin community with over 50,000 members and thousands of active ones. Quite a bit of collaboration went on between the mods/admin regarding rules infractions, advertising, spam, etc. It is really a thankless job at times. That makes me appreciate the mods here even more. They are going through some of the same issues that the normal members face daily, but they still find the time to make this place better.

Generally, I don't think that user-voted mods would be a great fit either. There is a list full of qualifications that one needs in order to be a good mod. I believe that the admin and existing mods can more adequately judge those skills than the community as a whole.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Thanks!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
What some people don't realize is that being a mod takes more effort and time than most people ultimately want to invest. I had a behind the scenes look at a vBulletin community with over 50,000 members and thousands of active ones. Quite a bit of collaboration went on between the mods/admin regarding rules infractions, advertising, spam, etc. It is really a thankless job at times. That makes me appreciate the mods here even more. They are going through some of the same issues that the normal members face daily, but they still find the time to make this place better.

Generally, I don't think that user-voted mods would be a great fit either. There is a list full of qualifications that one needs in order to be a good mod. I believe that the admin and existing mods can more adequately judge those skills than the community as a whole.
It might be a thankless job but if you'd been here to watch many of our long time members get banned or leave due to the problems we've had here at SAS since Drew took over the site you'd understand that some type of change is in order. This used to be a site I'd recommend to anyone but currently with the things I've seen, as well as had done to me, this site isn't a safe place and I wouldn't suggest to anyone to join this site as badly ran as it has been over the last 3 years.

·
Surrounded by greatness
579 Posts
It might be a thankless job but if you'd been here to watch many of our long time members get banned or leave due to the problems we've had here at SAS since Drew took over the site you'd understand that some type of change is in order. This used to be a site I'd recommend to anyone but currently with the things I've seen, as well as had done to me, this site isn't a safe place and I wouldn't suggest to anyone to join this site as badly ran as it has been over the last 3 years.
My guess is that they did something wrong in order to get banned. And if users leave they are able to start their own community elsewhere, especially nowadays where it is so simple. I say let them try. It isn't so easy to maintain active members when starting out. People who are interested in building the SAS community stay and obey the rules. Those who don't end up leaving/being banned. Unless you are saying that some sort of random acts of banning were going on, which generally no admin or mods would do because their main goal is to grow the site and provide outreach to as many people as possible. Also, more eyes = more ad income. Any money is this economy is a great thing. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that you don't believe the site is what it once was. I see a lot of positive things here that aren't necessarily available at other vBulletin forums. Like the ability to friend, have a wall, blogs, eGroups, the new mobile app, etc. All of that is a lot of ground for the admin and mods here to cover. I say give them credit where credit is due. :clap :clap :clap

There is sometimes a general sense of entitlement that goes on here that I just don't get and frankly, I'm tired of seeing it discussed in multiple threads. People act as if the mods get paid a full time salary or something and I can tell you that I know for sure that isn't the case. Decisions will sometimes be made that are controversial and members will sometimes be removed or upset. That's unavoidable in a community of this size. Simply put, if you wish to stay, you must obey. I don't find the rules here to be outrageously reckless or without reason. Then again, I've never been one to push the limits. :eek:

To some the rules might be unreasonable. But when a username and password is created, there is also an agreement to obey the rules.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
We've been over this before. Even long term members are not exempt from the guidelines. If anything, they should know them and set an example by following them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.