Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Therapy had no effect on me other than a worsening of symptoms. I suffer from major depression and (undiagnosed) social anxiety and currently take 60mg Duloxetine daily. To put it in perspective, I panic over going to the hairdresser, talking to the checkout chick or sharing a room with a co-worker. I don't go anywhere socially and have no friends. ADs help somewhat. I think "help" is the wrong word, because it simply puts me in a "blank" mood.

I know there are no wonder drugs but I've wondered if sedatives or something similar would help elevate my mood? I'm really to the point where I just want another pill to get me through the day. Doctors and therapists provide no support whatsoever. They're just a prescription service for me, in all honesty, and I have no confidence whatsoever in mental health services anymore. I'm happy to have pills if they work. I don't really want to talk to anyone about my problems or childhood or other total bull**** that they don't care about. I'd be happy with a dose of morphine every day after work if I could get it.

I'm also considering self-medicating on alcohol, I used to have a glass or two of scotch a day after work back when I was 18/19, and it helped mellow me out. I've considered drinking at work but I feel too responsible to do such a thing.

I was thinking of valium or something similar. Are there any circumstances where my doctor could prescribe drugs like that?

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I wouldn't recommend self medicating with alcohol.

Tried something like Atarax?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alcohol and stimulants that will make you happy for the moment will make you rely on that always when you're in social situations and further increase your social anxiety while sober, short term solution for a long term problem.

Been there, done that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts